ANY SUGGESTIONS!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by djtiny01, Feb 28, 2007.

1. djtiny01

djtiny01 New Member

ive got a toshiba laptop and when i try and listen to some cbt traing through some headphones its to quiet. ive tried different headphones and its way too low. i can hear the tv over it easily on low. its not just cbt training its dvds, music etc. the volume is set to its highest and still quiet. is there a program or a solution you know about to solve this?

thnks

Certifications: GNVQ if that counts
    WIP: a+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

There's more than one place to set the volume. You probably just double-clicked the speaker applet on the systray. Try going into the Control Panel (classic view), open the sound applet and see if the settings are different.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Or they could be the wrong impedance headphones. Try a different pair.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. djtiny01

djtiny01 New Member

everything is set to the highest and ive tried different heaphones. its even quiet through the speakers.

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Are your speakers powered, ie do your speakers plug into the mains? Many are not and they need a sound card which has a high output. If you buy some speakers that are powered and that have their own headphone socket, that should work okay.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I wonder if it isn't the DVD unit itself. How old is it? Could the lens need cleaning?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I don't think the lens will affect the volume Trip, the laser reads pits etched into the DVD/CD, much like binary code ones and zeros if you like ie digital. It will either read them or not, error correction will work to some degree but the usual effect is jumping tracks or quick repetition of the same piece of music or failure to play at all.

The amplitude of the analogue signal is the volume, this amplitude depends on the sound car output amplifier which is very low, as it's really only a pre-amp - hence you need an external amplifier to drive some speakers and headphones sufficiently. And that external amplifier *needs* power. Hence my earlier suggestion.

8. djtiny01

djtiny01 New Member

i thought of buying some powered speakers but i thought there might be a program to boost the volume like ive got for my ipod.

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Not that i am aware of mate.