Any Robocopy gurus out there?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Notes_Bloke, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

I'm looking to change the way our laptop users My Docs folder is backed up over the network.

The current system we use is not up to the task and since I've heard good things about Robocopy I thought I'd give it a go.

Basically, I want to copy all the contents of the My Docs folder across to a folder on a network drive and then in the future, only copy across files that have been altered. I also want to leave any files that have been deleted from the source, still intact on the destination folder.

I've created a script and tested it on my pc and it appears to run ok, but I'm not sure if I need any more or less switches in the script.

Code:
    robocopy "C:\Users\notesbloke\Desktop" "F:\test2" /E /SEC /COPYALL /V /NP /Z 
    The paths I've used are just for testing purposes.

Cheers
    NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Could you not simply use Folder redirection instead? because if you're wanting to moving it to a network location anyway there really isn't that much of an issue with network storage space.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA