Any pointers on my cv please

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by greenbrucelee, May 16, 2007.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Any opinions appreciated

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Ok ive had a look...the CV needs alot of work if you wana get a job in IT...send me your email and I will email u my CV so you know what to do...I did the same thing for Raffaz earlier on...even tho he has more certs than me...its the helpdesk side of things he feels he is lacking...but couple this with a good looking CV and you shouldnt have a problem...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Your CV needs work mate, so take NoelG up on his offer! :biggrin

Try and cut the description of your HND down to just bullet points. Also you might want to have a personal statement at the start of the C.V.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. greenbrucelee

I knew my cv was shi** I mean I havent had to touch it for 6 years but will take up noelg24 on the help he has offered

5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

email sent mate so go for it and best of luck :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  6. greenbrucelee

cheers mate will look at and have a go:D

7. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

Dont forget that if your submitting via email to save it as a .RTF file and call it by your actual name

ie Robert Smith.rtf
    this enables all word processing software to open it and those opening it know who it belongs to.

Just somit i always do :D

edit.. also gets rid of the huge amount of junk word places into its files (ever open a .doc in text editor? try it and laugh, then cry at the complete machine history included there)

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  8. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I think you have to bear in mind what the recruiter will be looking for when they look at your CV.

Putting my recruitment hat on my first question would be where does it say what on earth you've been doing for the past 7 years ?

There are many websites with CV advice and templates etc.
    Don't forget the basics, good layout, design, puntuation, correct case, grammer, spelling.

The most difficult problem I think for most is determining how to weight the coverage of the various sections. People with little experience will have to waffle a bit to pad and will find it difficult to fill two pages, people with alot of experience will have difficulty getting on three.

I think a 'personal profile' at the top of the CV will benefit most CV's and serve as a brief outline of your skills, and generally what you have to offer, sort of a severing like a covering letter which is frequently omitted these days. Remember this is a sales pitch so make it good !

Then other sections often relate to personal info, qualifications, experience, training and general interests.

Personal info, qualifications, experience, training, skills should be
    factual, using lists or columns as necessary.

The experience is part factual part sales pitch.

General interests helps pad CV's and provide talking points in interviews.