Any opinions on these?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greenbrucelee, Jul 22, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?BFG-GTX26O

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?BFG-98GTXX

The top one is the top of my price range although I am tempted by it.:D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I'd go for this one as it's high spec as well as good value for money "BFG GeForce 9800 GTX OCX 512MB GDDR3 TVO/Dual DVI, PCI".

Huh! take you're slowing getting your components together and ready for the killer computer:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. greenbrucelee

I'm saving up the cash still. I had to miss a month due to lots of bills, I am intending to buy everything next month :) I have evrything else sorted except the GPU.

4. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

I am sure i was reading about the GTX260 cards are made for large screen monitors. Have tried looking for review again in my history but can't find it.

My work mate got a 8800GT OCX and he was saying it fast enough to play all the top games for £120.00.

I only buy £100 to £140 tops cards now instead of £200 to £250 like I use to. This way I can change my card more often, maybe very 12-15 months unlike before every 2-2 1/2 years.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  5. greenbrucelee

Yeah I was looking at the 8800 cards which are good, I was just think of future proofing it, but then again the prices will drop eventually.

6. Jimbooo

Jimbooo Nibble Poster

Have you considered the ATI HD 4870 for cheaper? There was a huge war going on between fanboys of either company (ATI & Nvidia, surely you've herad about it) arguing which was the best. But best bang for the buck the HD 4870 wins outright.

It was between the HD 4870 and the Geforce GTX 260 for me. Believe me when I say I looked all over the Internet for weeks, and I really wanted the GTX 260 (bragging rights, geforce being a well known brand etc). Then, I started looking at reviews for the HD 4870 and I wanted to play Crysis, so I was sceptical at first.

I took the plunge and, honestly, this card is amazing. It plays Crysis on ALL HIGH settings (it even puts them on all high settings if you click auto-select) and even textures on VERY HIGH (it's a GDDR5 card so can do this) with still a great frame rate.

Bang for buck, it's well known the HD 4870 is better than the GTX 260. But it all depends on if your motherboard/psu can take it.

Certifications: 4 A-Levels
    WIP: BSc (Hons) Computing
  7. greenbrucelee

The mobo and PSU can take it no issiues there :)

8. Jimbooo

Jimbooo Nibble Poster

If you just google "HD 4870 vs Geforce GTX 260" you'll get loads and loads of posts on other forums and you can see for yourself what people were saying. I read hours worth of posts because it was a big decision for me, but if your mobo and PSU can take it then save yourself a lot and go for the ATI which is just as good.

It's only on beta drivers too, so just think of the performance increase when optimized drivers come out!

Certifications: 4 A-Levels
    WIP: BSc (Hons) Computing
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I usually go here and let it do all the comparisons for me. :) Works like a champ!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. greenbrucelee

Cool Cheers for that :)

11. JoshC

JoshC Bit Poster

hmm very useful site, so tempted by the 4870X2 when it is eventually released

12. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I spent a good three months building and researching an ultimate gaming rig... and then eventually passed my driving test so blew my money on a car instead. lol

Anywayyyy... If I were you my choices for GPU would be either a 4870X2, or a gtx 280.

The prices on the latter are so low currently its silly. Plus bear in mind the x2 may be prone to microstuttering.

Wait and check some benchies and FPS comparisons between the two before you make any decisions. It is a lot of money at the end of the day.

Hope this helps.

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA