Any one heard of Westminster College of Computing?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Waria Ahmed, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Waria Ahmed

Waria Ahmed Byte Poster

I was interested in doing thew following course and wondered if anyone had any advice or suggestions?

http://www.wcc.co.uk/mcse-2003-course.asp?cid=470

Thanks in advance

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Number one - what's your experience in the IT industry?

Number two - I'd be exceptionally wary of any TP calling themselves a 'college' - fake colleges in the UK exist largely to provide a front for fake 'students' from the subcontinent

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Waria Ahmed

Waria Ahmed Byte Poster

Been working with computers all my life, i have a btec national diploma in IT and a computing science degree.

Also been working as a IT professional for 2 years.

Can you recommend any good TP's?

Thanks

4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I'd be wary of anywhere offering MCSE in two weeks.

If you have a real education and experience you don't need a TP.

Get a MS training kit and work through it or if you have a lot of experience possibly just get the exam cram book, then schedule then take the test. Take it one exam at a time.

You'd struggle just to take the exams in two weeks let alone learn anything.

5. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Quite cheap as a refresher/revision cram course if it was real training/hands on labs, most likely BD's though!

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  6. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Just to offer my 2 pence worth. I'm studying for my MCSE myself and to put it in perspective. I have spent 7 months studying between 20-30 hours a week and won't get my MCSA until next week (hopefully). I've worked in IT for 10 years.

I recently attended a fast track course with QA, a very reputable national IT training company, that was 1 week hardcore 9am till 6pm with half an hour lunch and study done at home each night and that only covered the exams for 293 and 298, so basically 2 exams of the 7 needed.

Based on my experience a 2 week intensive course would be like a blur and I doubt you'd do as well on your exams than if you'd taken your time, used multiple sources of info for each exam, technet, CBT's and forums for instance.

thats just my experience and opinion,
    Best of luck,
    Jim

** Edit: I'm not commenting about the company by the way, they could be great, and if your employer is paying, I'd say do it. If you are paying, I personally wouldn't.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Didn't realise that there was a Westminster in Nigeria...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. m3lt

m3lt Byte Poster

Dont know even where to start...

The website is horrible, "templated" all the way and there are no proper linking at the bottom of the page for the "company" pages like legal and contact info.

Look at this: http://www.wcc.co.uk/about.asp

At the right corner there are still remnants of the template... lol

Oh and you gotta love the page to buy and input your CC info: http://www.wcc.co.uk/college-enrolment-old.asp?courseID=582&categoryID=3&sdate=01/08/2009

All in non secure http glory!
    Oh and notice how they say in the middle of the page that the page is secured! LOL

:p

Stay clear of this piece of trash!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST/MCSE
  9. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I like the way the quote on the about page is 9 years old.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  10. Waria Ahmed

Waria Ahmed Byte Poster

Yeh I think you are all right. Will stay away from these sites and do it through self study!

Thanks