Any official stance from MS on SP2 in the MCDST?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Modey, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Hey all,

I have been teaching an MCDST class part-time at my local college and I was trying to find an official line of some kind about the coverage of SP2 (for XP) in the MCDST exam.

The objectives on the MS website don't seem to make any mention of any SP2 features at all, yet still make reference to release / SP1 things like ICF which no longer exists in SP2.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

As with any MS exam they can include any information at all at any time. I think it would be of benefit for you to teach your students about it. They will have to learn about it anyway.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

We have been covering SP2 features and there is an appendix in the 271 book all about it. Did part of the lesson last night on the differences between ICF and Windows Firewall.

Would have been nice to be able to say, don't worry about ICF just concentrate on Windows Firewall. In the objectives the former is mentioned and there is nothing about the latter at all.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

The exam prep page on microsoft for this exam (70-271) has last been updated on August 8 2006, but as nugget says, there is a escape for Microsoft. At the bottom of the page it states:

Better know your stuff.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  5. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

How about the MS Press book for 70-271 - that has details about SP2 and Windows Firewall and that was produced by MS.

That said, I work for a large organisation like MS and the 2nd finger doesn't know what the 3rd finger is doing let alone both arms!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Huh! and just what is that suppose to mean? :)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  7. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

I think it means that the creator of the exam does not have the slithest idea what the craetor of the book wrote and visa versa. It could end up you learning A and getting asked B on the exam.
    I don't think it will be like this, but books and exams are most of the time trailing on the technology at that moment. I think it is fair to persume that if you do not know exactly the latest techniques, you still have a good change to pass the exam.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  8. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

There were SP2 questions in my 271 in May 07 and my 272 in Sept 07.

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003+Messaging, MCITP:SA, MCSA 2008, ITIL v3 Foundation, Comptia Server+ 2009, CCA Xenapp 6.5, VCP5-DV
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, CCSA