Any Linux Guys On Board?

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by nXPLOSi, Apr 1, 2009.

1. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Evening everyone!

Right, im a complete and utter newbie when it comes to Linux :oops:, never so much as a sight of it til this week really. Im hoping someone can help me out here. I now have a hosted server, with CentOs 5. Im trying to setup a user account for SFTP, which will only have access to one folder.

Im getting completely lost reading things left right and centre at moment, and would really appreciate any guidance offered into how I can do this.

Thanks,

Paul :blink

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I haven't even touched Linux in the past couple years.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

This is actually fairly complicated to do. And the problem for me is that I don't have any experience of Centos.

There are a whole lot of interrelated questions here. For example, if you only want to allow SFTP and *not* SSH then it will depend on the version of OpenSSH on the system as to how easy that is to do.

The second bit is the restriction to the login directory. This will depend on the support for 'jails' in Centos. This may involve adding some packages. Or 'chroot' on the box may be sufficient.

In addition, as the server is hosted, you may be limited in what you can do. Perhaps asking the hosting company for some ideas would be the way forward?

On some distros there is a whole package available to handle all of this.

Edit: It is always worth a careful google - this is what I found...

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Thanks Harry, had no idea is was going to be that involved!

Thanks for the link, I had seen something similar when I google'd it but it went straight over my head as I was a little surprized as to how in depth things needed to go.

Thanks again, i'll try and have ago at that a little later, and see how I get on. :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

The guide in that link has a guide for openSSH v5 that seems solid and has been tested on centos 5

link

Thanks to Hbroomhall for digging that up. It will come in handy

There may be other factors though I havent the skill/knowledge to foresee what. Let us know how it goes

As for it being involved, well thats linux for you. You learn to love it:twisted:

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  6. Steve.L

Steve.L Byte Poster

Hi

I would suggest going to howtoforge.com there you should find a walk through for what you require, also if you use vsftp there is no need to use sftp as vsftp (very secure ftp) can be setup to allow any amount of users to any amount of directories, be it one user to one directory or whatever and it is very very secure.

Just my 2p's worth :0)

Steve.L

Certifications: N+, MCP, MCTS, RHCT, VCP4 and 5, RHCSA
    WIP: ccna
  7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Interesting - not one I'd come across.

The only snag I can see is that vsftp doesn't support SFTP - which was the original requirement. :ohmy

Now what would be nice would be a sftpd daemon replacement with the facilities of vsftp!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

I'm a desktop wonk nowadays and only support Ubuntu on desktops for customers who've had it with the Win-virus-of-the-week destroying their home computers. I've been doing a lot more Linux and Mac over the past six months as the Windows world has turned into a reeking cesspool.

I had planned to take today off, but I've got 14 infected systems backed up in my shop so I've got to go in and see if I can slim the pile down some.

All of which is to say that I'm of no help to you with your Linux problem, but that I'd be interested in hearing how it turns out.

Best,

Sean M.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  9. mcrilly

mcrilly Byte Poster

Being on a shared hosting plan, his shell is probably a jail its self.

You could try setting up the new user, SFTP, putting them in their own group and therefore that group won't be able to access any other folders other than folders (and files) that you state are owned by that group/user.

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA, RHCE, & VCP