Any keen horologists?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by delorean, May 16, 2010.

1. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Forget your Patek, Ulysse and Panerai. Forget your pre-Tag era 'Heure' vintage pieces. It's all about the new modern pieces!

Simply had to share this with you, the debut watch from Devonworks. The Tread 1 watch. Talk about a design classic! Have a look for yourselves, perhaps place an order? A snip at just US$15,000 when compared to the likes of the Urwerk catalogue.

The Urwerk UR-203 is a masterpiece of modern watch making, it has bloody WIND TURBINES in it for the love of God! Price? A mere US$255,000.

But if you really fancy pushing the boat out, treat yourself to a cheeky Chapter One masterpiece by Maitres du Temps. A porky little fellow with bags of character. Yours for a handsome US$400,000.

Last edited: May 16, 2010
    Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Sorry, I prefer my Seamaster, Chronomat Evolution or Raymond Weil Don Giovani.

If I were going to go down the route of more expensive (my Breitling is the most expensive as it's the two tone model) I would be going for the likes of the Reverso. The one watch I have wanted to own for a while however is the Corum Joker, not too sure why but I really like it.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

Think i'm going to treat myself to a Cartier Tank Americane for my 30th or a Patek Philippe Calatrava if I have the money!

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I'm saving up for this bad boy. One day.....

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Fan of the more traditional style eh? I nearly bought an Omega Seamaster back in December but sided with a lovely Longines Hydroconquest instead. Automatic of course! Quartz-schmortz! :biggrin

I love unusual watches as they offer something new and different to watchmaking. I like the aesthetics of Breitling pieces but the ETA movement is not Breitling's own. I read somewhere that they are now releasing new pieces with their own independent movements so it should be interesting to see how they progress in the next couple of years.

I sided with Longines because they use their own movement and I love the history behind the brand. Photo finish technology in sports? Longines invented that. And so on...

Raymond Weil is another brand that I am not really a huge fan of, mainly due to the quality of the movement used. As for the Casio databank, I remember those from school days!

Has anyone tried the Tokyo Flash watches? Keen to pick up a binary display piece...

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I picked this Eco-drive up back in winter 2008, it's titanium, i almost got the sky-hawk version but they only had it in stainless steel at the time :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hmmm, a watch for 15, 255 or 400 thousand dollars just to tell me the time?

I'm happy with my Swatch that I got for a measley Sfr160. It does the same thing and a lot cheaper too. I'd rather put the money to use somewhere else.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

Some of the brands keep their value or even go up in price over the years. They can be a decent investment.

9. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

My Longines I bought back in December was a limited edition and has already (albeit slightly) increased in value. The watch will become more valuable in years to come.

Indeed, quality timepieces offer a sound investment. Like buying gold, property etc. Plus, some of the finer pieces really do justify the price tag. Not just for the pomp that comes with the name, but the complication of the movement inside it.

Same with pens, I've just started collecting fine writing pens. Mont Blanc, Shaeffer, Visconti etc. Quality pieces also increase in value. I'm a recent fountain pen and quality paper convert and not ashamed to admit it! :biggrin

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  10. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

Expensive tastes mate! Got myself a Mont Blanc meisterstuck last year. Lovely piece of kit.

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've got one of these. 8)

[​IMG]

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

There's sod all else to buy here haha! :biggrin

Nice pen you got yourself there. I love the Mont Blanc Queen Elizabeth I or the Starwalker jeweled.

Looking at adding a Shaeffer Roaring Twenties palladium or Visconti Van Gogh to the collection next! Looking at pen cabinets too although might get a family friend to commission one for me as he's a pretty feckin good woodworker.

13. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Resurrecting an old thread but as a fellow pen enthusiast I thought I'd let you know I just took delivery of a limited edition Visconti Van Gogh 'Laguna Verde' (number 53 of 188 in the world). 14k gold & palladium nib/trim. I've attached a photo of it.

Got my eyes on another Visconti, maybe the Visconti Knights Templar (if I can find one that's under €2000 which is highly doubtful) or maybe something from Graf von Faber Castell for Christmas (chance will be a fine thing though considering a Graf von Faber Castell eraser that looks just like the big 'bar of soap' style erasers you had at school will set you back upwards of £150). :oops:

Before I left Grand Cayman I had the privilege of seeing the Visconti 'The Chistian Bible' pen and it really was a masterpiece, though I'd be too scared to fill it let alone write with it! Definitely an investment piece only!

I was also lucky to see next to it a beautiful Sailor 'Tale of Genji' piece (of which there are only 8 of each in the world. VERY impressive stuff!

Attached Files: