Any Idea's on on passing the MCDST

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by AuroraTech, Aug 20, 2007.

1. AuroraTech

AuroraTech Bit Poster

Hi there people, I am just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction, I am studying for my 070-271 exam using the Microsoft Self passed training kit, with readiness review suit, I am scoring high 90's and 100% on numerous mock exams, also I am using the transcender software as well, scoring the same in that. Told by my tutors that I am ready for the exam, but this morning I failed the exam for the 2nd time. Getting slightly frustrated.

Any Help would be much appreciated,
    cheers

Aurora Tech

Certifications: CompTIA A+
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA, MCSE
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

How many times have you used the Transcender exams mate? If you do all the questions once or twice then you can remember the answers, therefore the score you get may be higher than usual.

How did you find the real exam?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. AuroraTech

AuroraTech Bit Poster

Hi Sparky, thanks for the reply, I scored 677 on my first attempt, and 654 today, struggled with the network and protocols, and access to resources, I thought I found it OK. But my score does not imply that.

This one today seemed to be harder and I had revised more for this, just don't know what I am doing wrong.

Thanks for the reply

4. Sparky

Probably best to focus on those areas in the MS Press book and put the test questions to one side.

Remember the difference between share and NTFS permisions for access to resouces and you should be fine. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. AuroraTech

AuroraTech Bit Poster

Cheers Mate, just gotta keep on going, Thanks for the advice

6. Sparky

No probs mate, post some questions if you need to. Loads of members have passed the MCDST here so Im sure they could give you a hand. 8)

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sparky's right - a practice exam can only accurately gauge your score the first time you take it. After you've seen even ONE of the questions more than once, then the exam can't accurately gauge how you'll do on the real thing.

So... I agree with his assessment to lay the exams down and pick the books back up. When you do go back to the exams, I'd recommend purchasing another practice exam from a well-known, high-quality practice exam provider. Then, take the first exam, and see what score you get. If you don't pass the first time through it, you're not ready. Study the sections where you are weak. Afterwards, take the second exam. If you don't pass the first time through, you're not ready. Study the sections where you are weak. Do NOT take the last unique exam until you want one final check to see if you're ready.

Hope this helps. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

If you haven't already, you should try doing the exercises at the ends of each chapter and working through them on a test enviroment if possible. That should give you a better insight into the material.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  9. AuroraTech

AuroraTech Bit Poster

Thanks BonsonMichael, I have already picked the books back up and covering the parts I did not do so well, Any tips on understanding shares and permissions?,

Cheers mate

10. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

I had real trouble understanding the concept of permissions till I read this...

"Use effective permissions to calculate the permission of a user then use the most restrictive share permission to calculate there actual permission".

Click security then advanced on a shared folder to get to effective persimissions, remeber this only gives you info on NTFS permissions.

You can then play around till heart's content & calucalate effective permissions & practice them. Then apply the most restrictive share permissions and all should be clear:blink

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  11. BosonMichael

When calculating NTFS + Share permissions:
    - Take the explicit NTFS permissions (for user) and implicit NTFS permissions (for groups user belongs to) and add them all up (READ + WRITE + LIST = READ and WRITE and LIST)... unless there is a Deny, which will override any Allow permissions (READ + WRITE + LIST + DENY WRITE = READ and LIST).
    - Do the same for the Share permissions.
    - Once you've got the NTFS permissions and the Share permissions, take the most restrictive of the two permissions.

One big gotcha... when accessing a file locally on the server (not over a network share), Share permissions DO NOT APPLY. Share permissions only work when accessing a file over a share - they aren't applied when accessing the file directly from the server itself (logged onto the server directly). NTFS permissions work ANYTIME... for local users and networked (share) users.

Consider that a freebie for what I usually charge $ for. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. AuroraTech

AuroraTech Bit Poster

Hey thanks Spilly, thats a huge help with the understanding, much appreciated mate :D

Also, thats for the last post BosonMichael, That is awesome!!! Appreciate all the help guys !!!!

13. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

You could also go with what MS actually recommend and make your life easier, by setting any share permission to Everyone full acccess, then just worry about getting your NTFS permissions right.

I know some people diagree with this policy, but I actually like it. NTFS permissions are much more granular than Share permissions anyway and you have much more control over them.

As for NTFS permissions actually doing what you think they are doing, that's another story for another time. :)

Oh and What Michael said. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  14. AuroraTech

AuroraTech Bit Poster

Cheers Modey, just been testing that out! Thanks for your input :D

15. BosonMichael

I absolutely agree with this recommendation... it works in "real-life".

16. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

BM, thanks for the simplistic method of looking at the NTFS and Share permissions, always appreciated. You just saved me sometime in solving the permissions questions.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  17. BosonMichael

Glad to be of assistance. :)