Any Citrix guy/gals here

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by dales, Jun 12, 2009.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Well im studying now for a CCA in xenapp 5 and wondering if anybody else is doing the same thing. Citrix questions seem to be few and far between which I find odd because of its widespread use.

Anybody having a go at the CCA or any citrix admins kicking about that I can bounce around with!?

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. DFV

DFV Bit Poster

Yes I am!

The company I work for has a Citrix farm running Presentation Server 4.5. An upgrade is planned for the next couple of months so I've been running through the CBT Nuggets XenApp 5 course in order to get myself up to speed.

What training materials are you using?

Certifications: MCSE NT4, ITIL v2
    WIP: CCA
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Dales, I will be hitting the CCA on XenApp 5.0 in November mate.

Not sure if you can wait that long or not.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Yo, reading for CCA on xenapp 5.0 at the moment mate.

About 30 pages into the syngress book, thoroughly recommend.

help to admin a 50 server presentation server 4.5 farm at work so that helps.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
  5. Bambino1506

I was under the impression presentation server 4.5 FR1 was esentially the same as xenapp 5.0, thought there was basically no difference other than xenapp is run on server 2008.

6. DFV

DFV Bit Poster

Well yes it seems similar in what I've seen so far. I've got a test server up and running but haven't dug too deep into it yet. Most changes I've seen are on the Terminal Server side of things.

7. Bambino1506

Cool. How much SQL stuff do you need to know for the exam mate ? is it basically just how to create the initial database for citrix ?

8. DFV

DFV Bit Poster

A bit more than that I should imagine. You have to know which database servers or apps you can use (SQL, DB2, Access etc) and as you say how to create the database, back it up, recover it etc; also how to size the database, secure it and connect to it (ODBC etc). The installation guide specifically says not to edit data directly but to use Citrix tools so I doubt the exam will be asking you about SQL code.

9. DFV

DFV Bit Poster

Booked my 1Y0-A05 CCA exam for 12th October! :blink Nearly finished running through the CBT Nuggets. Logged about eight hours of 'play' time on my test XenApp farm, will spend a good deal more time next week. I'll probably tear it apart and rebuild it. I've got the Syngress study guide and started going through that, did well on the practice questions I've skimmed so decided to go ahead and book the exam.

Anyone recommend any test exams for the CCA? ****** do one but seems a bit pricey, there's one from ******.com but don't have any experience of them.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2009
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Careful, DFV. TK is a braindump, and considering I haven't ever heard of "examexpert.com" (which I can't even reach), I'd guess they are as well. Braindumps are a cancer to IT certifications. Avoid them like the plague.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!