Any CCNA (640-802) course out there that starts with the real basics?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by username, Aug 15, 2012.

1. username

username New Member

I have looked around quite a few video course samples with regard to studying for the CCNA. Apparently none of them start with explaining any of the network components, i.e. a router, switch, hub, etc, rather start with the OSI model. When they keep referring to these components in the OSI model, I tend to get really lost. Is there any course out there to start with the real basics before using fancy jargon, or any bridging course or document to help me get started?

2. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

Take a look at the A+ (has some network basics) and the Network+ course :)

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
    username likes this.
  3. username

username New Member

I am going to train for the A+, just ended up getting to the CCNA first. Was actually looking for a shorter bridge, something like a couple of videos or an introductory book rather than an entire course. Why on earth do they call it a CCENT and say that there are no prerequisites despite the fact that you need to have a considerable amount of knowledge before diving into these courses?

4. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well it is Cisco's lowest level certification, making it their 'entry level cert', it does not mean its suitable for people without industry experience.

Most vendors certification programs are designed for people already in industry, therefore by definition they are not entry level. Entry level certifications like ECDL, MOS, A+, MTA are the exception, not the rule.

As far as 'no prerequisites' I believe they mean no previous Cisco courses or qualifications are mandated, they do not mean prerequisite knowledge is not required.

In fact if you look at the CCIE, their premier certificfation, it also states 'There are no formal prerequisites for CCIE certification.'.

The fact that CCENT is not really entry level is why Cisco offers IT Essentials, this is their lowest level course that is truly entry level from an outsiders viewpoint.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  6. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

8. Marky

Marky New Member

I was on the QA cisco ICND1 course last week and for me it was very easy as I have had 8 years plus in the telecoms industry and support but there were a few people on the course without it and they did struggle, there is a wealth of information on there on the web which really help, Cisco nuggets helped me with a few things (subnetting!) but if you were thinking of doing a ICND1 or CCNA course soon I would think twice if you havent got the basics as the course is quite fast paced even though it was only ICND1 for 5 days and ICND2 for 5 days, even with my experince I think the pace of the combined course would be too much.

For the basics such as routers switches I would suggest googling them.