any advise or help?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Mr Marmory, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Mr Marmory

Mr Marmory Bit Poster

Hi
    I am deaf and hard of hearing and been trying to get in the IT industry for 9 months. Location near London UK. So I joined this forum for advice and help.

I was not born deaf but profoundly deaf at the age of 3. I have basic qualifications:

MSC Information Managent
    BSC Information Systems
    HND Computing
    BTec National Diploma in Business and Finance
    BTec First Diploma in Business and Finance

I have been made redundant from my last job. I am unemployed for 9 months (no-one wants to hire me don't know why). Yes I know the UK is in recession but why is it really hard to find a job?
    I may be deaf but I do not let my hearing barrier get in the way.

I do not know what courses to start from. I am open to any suggestions anyone may have. If you are an employer I am willing to work on a trail period. I just need experience. I am looking for employment in either 1st Line Help Desk Support or IT support nothing fancy just basic entry role. I am then planning to start my MCP or MCSE training. As I can't afford it right now.

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Hi mate,

Unfortunately it's not just you, I am an experienced IT Consultant with 13 years of IT experience behind me, I spent nearly 5 months looking for work (in fact it was six months between pay packets), so I wouldn't worry too much about reasons why, it's a hard time for everyone. What usually happens this time of year however is that budgets start to get released and people start hiring again. Keep at the job hunting and you will get lucky eventually.

As far as certifications go, I would look at the Comptia range of certs first (A+, N+) and possibly the MCDST to help you through the door. One bit of advice I have to give is that the MCSE is not an entry level cert, it's aimed for those with 12 - 18 months of solid server work, if you don't have that then don't bother getting the MCSE because it's more likely to hurt than help.

HTH.

Simon

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I agree with Simon's assessment.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Mr Marmory

Mr Marmory Bit Poster

Dear All

I have no commercial IT experience I want to start with the Comptia A+ then the N+ or MCDST.

Just fixing PC's and Laptops at home for friends and family. Fixing Hard drives, CD drives Software problems such as viruses and Startup programs using Config Sys. I understand how to assemble and dissemble both PC's and laptops. Upgrading Software and hardware all from home.

Due to the fact that I have been unemployed (for over 9 months) and do not have much money. :(

Where can I find the cheapest Comptia A+, N+ and MCDST courses either online or classroom based? bear in mind that I am hard of hearing and require videos that are subtitled as part of the course.

MR Marmory

5. BosonMichael

You're in luck: you don't need a course. All you need are some books, and if you want, some practice exams to see if you're ready for the real thing.

For the A+, I'd recommend the A+ All In One Exam Guide Seventh Edition by Mike Meyers. If you need hands-on labs, you won't find better than PC Technician Street Smarts Second Edition by Pyles.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. Mr Marmory

Mr Marmory Bit Poster

What about the exams?

How do I apply for the exams?

Do I need to enrol etc...

How much would all this cost me?

7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Have a look here for information on exams.

As far as price goes, they are £114 per exam as far as I know.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  8. BosonMichael

For CompTIA exams, you can use Prometric or VUE. You sign up on either of those Web sites, you choose one or more testing centers close to you, you choose an available time at the testing center of your choice, and you pay online. Then you just show up at the testing center at the scheduled date and time with two forms of ID.

How much will it cost? That varies per exam... but it will cost far less than if you bought a training course. ;)