Any Advice

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by chris1, Dec 8, 2011.

1. chris1

chris1 Bit Poster

Hi,

Im currently looking to get into I.T field, with just completing the Windows 70-680 exam. I don't have much experience in I.T been stuck in retail for the last 5 years due to financial reasons and being easier to get a job in. My plan was initially to do the Active Directory 70-640 exam for wich i bought the MS Press book, but due to financial reasons i've put it on hold. Having been fooled into the Careerjobs UK im not too keen on training providers.

Any Advice Would be extremely helpful.

Chris

2. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Hey Chris,

Welcome to Cert Forums.

Since you have passed the 70-680, you should be able to work on desktops without any problem. Do you have troubleshooting knowledge and know the basics regarding printers and other first-line responsibilities?

I wouldn't worry too much about doing the AD exam, but you could run a virtual-lab, set up AD just so you know how to use it. First Line support won't do too much on it (new users, reset passwords...) but a little bit of experience using it will definitely help your cause when you get into an interview.

Don't try jump onto server roles too quickly, you really need to try get some IT industry experience in the first line area first.

Read these pdf documents, do you know these topics:

http://enews.comptia.org/documents/essentialsobjectives.pdf
    http://www.comptia.org/Libraries/Exam_Objectives/CompTIA_A_220-702.sflb.ashx

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
    Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  3. chris1

chris1 Bit Poster

I've been through the mike myers comptia a+ book but it must be said im sketchy. I've been applying for 1st line roles and even admin roles just to get infront of a computer to build confidence with microsoft office but i am very little luck. It may be that my cv is too retail orientated.

Thanks Boffy.

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The customer service skills you have from retail is a big help with an entry level IT job – chances are you would be dealing with users on a day to day basis. Some users are easy to deal with and some can be an absolute nightmare!

I would go for the A+ and Network+ to try and give your CV more of a IT focus.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
    JonnyMX likes this.
  5. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

As Sparky said, retail/customer experience is what First-Line Support is all about. Keep pushing on the A+ as it teaches all aspects of first-line support on a general level (where as the 70-680 is simply supporting win7).

In regards to office, you could look at the MOS course - or go onto Microsoft's website as they have pdfs of information as well as Office 2010 tutorials.

I wouldn't worry too much about Office though, because most users are generally quite basic, the odd few will use macros and if you don't know it, google is your friend.

Finally, don't give up trying to find your first job, its hard for people at the moment but it will come. Widen your scope of distance, try variations of your CV and make sure you are always on those job sites with alerts every day.

Good luck, give me a shout if you need any help 8)

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010