any advice on getting that first job?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by oasis, Sep 17, 2003.

1. oasis

oasis New Member

I am currently enroled on the TSE course and have A+, and am currently working on the 70-270 and feel if I had a job in IT it would be a huge help but I am struggling to get that first job. Any Idea's as to what positions I should be applying for?
    Many Thanks

Oasis :whatthink

2. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Hi Oasis,

Welcome to the board. It's difficult to say what sort of jobs you should be applying for, a lot depends a lot on your background and previous experience and not nescessarily in the IT area. can you tell us a bit more about yourself? then perhaps we could offer some more useful advice.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Depends on your experience. One way to get experience if you're having trouble getting a paid gig, is to do some volunteer work repairing computers and doing a little networking. I remember over a year ago, my wife and I were donating our "on-its-last-legs" car to a local non-profit and I happened to notice that their warehouse was full of old computer hardware. They'd received a major donation and had gotten some tech to do all the check up work on the PCs, make sure they were up and running prior to those PCs going to the local men's prison. I was just a little late in volunteering for that gig.

Try local non-profits, churches, any charitable organization...even your friends. Maybe you know someone who needs a SOHO (small office/home office) set up. Stuff like that.

How I got my experience was by posting my resume on job search sites. I don't know the UK equivalents, but most of my hits were from either CareerBuilder.com or Dice. I'm also on Monster but never got a hit from them. Sure, all my work thus far has been contract, but I've had a lot of good experiences (and a few bad), learned a lot and the search has led me in some interesting directions.

Look in your local paper for startup companies that might need networking/computer install services. Register with local IT temp agencies (Manpower Professional is the US equivalent available to me in my area). Temp installs (day, weekend, and week long jobs) are often available if you have the time. You learn a lot, meet other techs, network (the human type) and maybe get lead to other jobs.

Bug everybody you know about wanting that first IT job. You never know if your next door neighbor's brother runs the IT shop for a local business and is looking for a good, reliable, entry-level tech.

Lastly, "Never give up...never surrender". :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

All excellent advice Trip, but the last bit

Great advice :D

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I humbly take my bows. :rolleyes: