Any advice guys???? :x

Discussion in 'Networks' started by albertc30, Oct 6, 2008.

1. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

Hello you all.

It's with great joy that I tell you all that I have passed my CCNA Module 2. Now only modules 3 and 4 to go this year.

Now, the bad side to all this.
    In the college I had enrolled last year, they are not certain at the moment as to run the CCNA course or not due to the lack of interest, not enough students.
    We have paid £250.00 peer module, £500.00 so far.
    Now the dilemma. I believe that when we enrolled we have enrolled for a course in its whole, not half of one. We have two certificates and two letters from Cisco but that's not our final CCNA certificate.
    From where we're standing is quite simple really...

Option 1 - They do go ahead with the course even if they only have us 3.

Option 2 - We don't mind paying for it, the £250.00 and have no classes. We can do it indoors as long as we have our exams made available online on Cisco academy so that we can progress.

Option 3 - Our money back, the whole £500.00. We enrolled for a course, not half.

Do you guys think that I am being too abrupt towards the college?

I mean, if they don't do it, where do I turn from here?

We feel lost and let down by the college.

Any opinions appreciated.

Cheers,
    Albert, C

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Not sure if you know this or not... but the CCNA Module certificates mean nothing on the outside world. The only thing of value is the CCNA exam itself - not a course exam, but the actual 640-802 Cisco CCNA exam.

If there's not enough students to take the course, there's not anything the college can do about it. The instructor doesn't work for free.

Additionally, they're not saying you can't take the course... they're simply saying you can't take the course right now. Class cancellations happen all the time, even in degree programs. If they cancel the class, either you wait until another class is offered, or you get a refund.

I'm not sure, but I think the college isn't allowed to just give you access to the course content without an authorized instructor. I could be wrong about that - the only way to be sure is to ask your college.

Yet another reason to go with self-study methods... classes never get cancelled. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. albertc30

Not sure if you know this or not... but the CCNA Module certificates mean nothing on the outside world. The only thing of value is the CCNA exam itself - not a course exam, but the actual 640-802 Cisco CCNA exam.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the thing. I do know. That's the reasson I am saying I have started a course for a CCNA certication, not half of it which gets me nowhere.
    Any good path for CCNA self study?
    Cheers

4. BosonMichael

Cisco Press and/or Sybex books, a couple of routers and switches (or a router simulator if you cannot afford them), and high-quality practice exams if you desire them. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. albertc30

Hello BosonMichael,
    I do have the Cisco press book, CCNA 3 and 4 companion guide, third edition.
    The routers and switches anything cheap like on ebay a couple of 2600, think I can get them like around £200 pounds ish.
    Now for the high-quality practise exams, where do I get them please?

Cheers

6. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

albertc30,

Congratulations on passing Routing Protocols and Concepts! Good luck with LAN Switching and Wireless.

Sounds like you might need to be an extension of your Cisco Networking Academy's marketing "department" by possibly talking some of your major or department mates into taking the courses. Can the "LAN Switching and Wireless" course be used in some sort of elective capacity for related department degree requirement? Try starting there for your "selling point."

Are you paying on a course by course basis or is some sort of financial aid paying for the courses?

The final CCNA Exploration or final CCNA Discovery curriculum graduation certificate is valuable because my CCNA curriculum graduation certificate helped me earn an interview for a job.

Is the entire sequence of courses from Network Fundamentals through Accessing the WAN requirements for your degree at the college? If so, you could probably emphasize the importance of the LAN Switching and Wireless course is to your academic goal of graduating with a degree to those at the college who are responsible for course scheduling and availability.

Unfortunately, at the absolute minimum, you're going to have a qualified Cisco Instructor administer the Skills Based Final and administer the Computerized Final Exam under proctored conditions for course completion.

This will depend on if you're enrolled course by course and paying on a course by course basis or if you're enrolled for the entire curriculum but you're paying course by course as you take them. Check with ALL the academic paperwork that you've signed and received about the CCNA curriculum that may state the terms and conditions of the courses and curriculum.

No, since it's supposed to be a give and take. They take your money in exchange they give you the education that you enrolled in and paid for.

Try contacting your instructor for the Routing Protocols and Concepts course to find out contact information for their boss. That boss may be the head of the academic department responsible for the Cisco Networking Academy program. If you don't get a satisfactory answer from the head of the academic deparment, then ask the dean who is responsible for the academic department. Keep going up and up to even the highest in the college system until you're given a satisfactory answer.

I hope this helps.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  7. BosonMichael

As I am employed by a practice exam provider (as well as the product manager for our CCNA product), my opinion is heavily biased. 8) Choose for yourself: download demos from the following practice exam providers and choose the one that looks to be the best (NOT the cheapest!):

Boson
    MeasureUp
    PrepLogic
    Self Test
    Transcender

8. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

albertc30,

Are you in the CCNA 3.1 curriculum?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  9. albertc30

r.h.lee

Yes I am in the 3.1 curriculum mate.

I'll get back on all of your comments shortly, sorry but time is really short:oops:

10. albertc30

Sure did mate.
    Thanks ever so much for your time and everybody.
    Keep on the great work
    cheers,
    Albert, C

11. albertc30

12. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

I'd buy the more expensive one if I were you, the extra switch and the 2600 series router will be very handy later on.

That said, I got a book written by Todd Lammle that came with a "platinum" router sim, and for me that was enough to pass. While I don't recommend the sim if you don't have good hands on experience with Cisco (for "platinum" read 'dog poop'), I definitely recommend the book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CCNA-Certif...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223678867&sr=8-1 (without dog poop sim)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CCNA-Certif...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223678867&sr=8-2 (with dog poop sim)

fwiw, my local college did exactly the same thing as yours.

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
  13. albertc30

what do you mean a router sim mate?
    sorry about my ignorance mate but I am cluless. :oops:

14. FlashDangerpants

It's a program that lets you create a virtual network simulated routers and switches and PCs, all wired together. Then you can click a device, access its console and configure it pretty much the same way as you would with real hardware.

They are very handy, but not as good as the real thing.

15. albertc30

So like packet tracer?

16. FlashDangerpants

A lot like that yes.