Any advice for IT consultant role.

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by johnwai, Sep 4, 2006.

1. johnwai

johnwai New Member

Hi Guys

Though this is not a technical IT role, are there any IT consultants here or are aware of this role. Can anyone give me any tips for this role? Or shall I ask what qualities and knowledge do i need to have for this role ? anything that can help make me stand out ?

Thanks in advance.

John

2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Hi John

I'm a bit confused - what role do you mean? An IT Consultant role is often, in many ways, the single most 'technical' role there is in IT. Most of the time you will be expected to know everything from implementing a printing architecture to managing a WAN infrastructure.

I've done quite a bit of consulting in the past - I've enjoyed it a lot too, but it is VERY hard work - I've been expected not only to know the subject matter inside out, but also be able to write excellent documentation and proposals that may lead to internal business cases being developed.

Are you referring to a specific role? If so, do you have a copy of the job ad/spec for us to have a look at?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. johnwai

johnwai New Member

Hi zebulebu

Here is the advertisement.

We are highly profitable IT recruitment firm, partnering many of the industry's leading players. ideally with 12 months+ commercial experience in either IT, b2b/direct/telephone sales or recruitment, we ll cross train you for an extremely demanding and rewarding career in IT recruitment. You are gregarious, money motivated, intelligent ( alevel or higher), posess first class interpersonal skills and driven to be successful. Your role will involve selling people to people, generating new business, relationship building and closing deals. Our commitment to training will ensure that your hard work, dedication and energy will be well rewarded - your earnings will reach £50k+ in your second year.

Sorry for the confusion I meant IT recruitment consultant.

Regards

John

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

A very different thing! Basicaly - a salesman!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Also, be VERY aware of that 50K. A lot of these positions have a very basic salary and the big money is made from the commission you earn off placing people.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Ah

In that case, I can offer you no advice other than, almost without exception, of the IT Recruiters I have had dealings with in my career, EVERY - SINGLE - ONE knows NOTHING about IT WHATSOEVER.

The biggest single asset I can think of that you will need is the ability to act like an absolute arsehole, 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year.

So...

Good luck with that!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

LOL

It’s the truth!

Know FA about IT? Then become an IT recruitment consultant!

I’ll give you an example. When I was made redundant from my last job I signed up to a couple of agencies and had to get an interview from one of them to get a better idea of my ‘skills’. I had the interview and said I was interested in an IT support or perhaps an IT Administrator role. Filled out the forms and left.

A few days later I was asked if I would be interested in going for an interview for a desktop support engineer position with the potential to progress into the networking side of things. I agreed and was then told they would get back to me with interview times etc. All good.

Then for some reason another “IT recruitment consultant” phoned me up and said they were not going to put me forward for the job. I was surprised as I seemed to have the skills\experience that was required. The guy then went on to say he wanted to put me forward for a IT Security role at a financial organisation! I would be dealing with Cisco\Checkpoint firewalls and also “locking down” the whole network. I told the guy I would be waaaaaay out my depth and I hadn’t listed Cisco\Checkpoint firewalls on my CV, Id only listed ISA!

“Surely all firewalls are the same” he said!

He then went on to explain that the wage was superb (£40k!) and I should seriously think about going for an interview. I declined as there was no way whatsoever I would get the job. Total waste of time!

Now in my current role I get the joy of reading the C.Vs that the recruitment agency sends us. I might as well ask them to send 20 random C.Vs, that’s what it feels like sometimes! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Sparky - you've had some laughs in your time... Good Job Fella...

9. johnwai

johnwai New Member

Morning guys.

Lol omg they don't know much do they. All you need is good communications skills and persuasive skills. Not my kinda thing, acting fake and talking out of your butt all day.
    Think ill give it a miss.

Thanks for the info :)

John

10. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

i done "marketing" for like 3 days and it was the biggest piece of shi7 i have ever done... its more cold calling than anything else...