Antivirus

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by spy22, Mar 10, 2008.

1. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

Hi all,

Statement!?....My norton antivirus is about to run out!!

Question!?....Should I renew it or should I listen to some people i know and download a free antivirus? E.g AVG, Avast? Are these just trials? Are they safe?

I have heard so many different things just wanted to see what some of you guys think etc?

Thanks in advance

SPY

Certifications: Its who you know not what you know!!!
    WIP: CCNA?
  2. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I use AVG free on my home PCs; have done for a few years. It’s a fully featured antivirus but without the price tag. I think overall you will get better protection from a ‘paid for’ antivirus as the company can afford to utilise more people and resources to keep the definitions bang up to date. Even so, AVG is good enough. If I were going to buy an antivirus solution, it would be NOD 32.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I've always been of the persuasion that if a free product can do the job pretty much as well as a pay for product, I go free everytime.

I've used AVG for years, and have never had an issue. There will always be the 'this Antivirus package missed this virus' with free and pay for products, so you are damed if you do and damned if you don't. Why not be damned for free? :)

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  4. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

cool thanks for your advice

have you got any links to a free full AVG as i dont want to use a free trial by accident!

Certifications: Its who you know not what you know!!!
    WIP: CCNA?
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I use Avira Antivir its free and updates definitions everyday and the scan is very thourough.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I have used the free AVG for the last 10 years and i can tell you thats it's brilliant. I also recommend it to my customers. I install it for the home users and none of them have ever picked up a virus.

Linky to correct download..

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/us/frt/0?prd=aff

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. NightWalker

Some folks who are new to AVG do question what will happen when the 'ok button' timer gets to Zero...

8. S0l5

S0l5 Bit Poster

If your looking for an anti-virus which will give you TOTAL control and lockdown i recommend McAfee Enterprise Edition, otherwise go with AVG.

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Another vote for NOD here, especially Version 3

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  11. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

The Computer goes BANG!!!!

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  12. NightWalker

That’s what I thought… once I let it get down to 1 second, then I had to click Ok.

13. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Amen to that! :biggrin

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  14. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Another vote for AVG here :biggrin - used it for years, and installed it wherever I can 8)

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  15. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

The others might be good too, but I've used AVG and it's performed great :).

16. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

*snort*

I have customers who use Norton, swear by it, and refuse to migrate away from it. I clean crap out of their systems every two months. Eventually they get tired of paying the "Norton repair tax" and let me install AVG Free Antivirus and Mozilla Firefox/Thunderbird. Guess what? No more infections for years at a time!

Just because you pay more for it doesn't mean you're going to get more.

...and if you don't believe that, spool up Ubuntu Linux side-by-side with Windows Vista and watch to see which crashes first. You won't have to wait long.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  17. NightWalker

That’s a fair point, however as a general rule a company like AVG that have a free and a paid for Antivirus solution are going to have more staff working on the paid for one.

I think Norton is built for and targeted at the average home user, its certainly not the best package out there, but the average user, and just about everyone who works at PC World think it’s the best thing ever and there is no way in the world you would ever get a virus when you have Norton…

I think there is no way in the world I would ever get Norton!

18. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Another vote for AVG. Free, works well and doesn't slow down systems as much as other AV's.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  19. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Actually the AVG paid for product is more or less the same as the free one, they certainly use the same update files, scanning engine and the UI is the same. the free one has a couple of unecessary scheduling features disabled.

And i agree totally with NH (Q).. Do a Nortondectomy, install AVG and another browser like Fx or Opera and the computer will fly again.. all your malware problems will vapourise into thin air.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  20. OceanPacific

OceanPacific Byte Poster

Ive used AVG for years without any issues. Its a great program. If I was going to buy one, it would be Nod32.

WIP: N+, A+