Antivirus

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Theprof, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hey guys I searched the site to something related but couldnt find it, if I missed it let me know please.

Anyways I was wondering what you guys use for an antivirus and what do you recommend. I currently use kaspersky but I find that when I open folders with big files it takes time before kaspersky finishes the backround scan on the files.

If you guys have an alternative one that works just as well (I know that kaspersky works well) but just occupies less resources then let me know please.

thanks in advance.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Grisoft free AVG does it for me..

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/20/lng/us/tpl/v5

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Thanks for the replie, I'll take a look at it.

I heard that some people use avg pro is there a big difference between avg pro and the free one?

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

No not really, the schedular for scanning drives is a bit more flexible that's about all. The free one has served me well for the last 6 years or more.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

mate - have a look at the link here...

6. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

I use kaspersky also and I've turned the security level down to low and everything runs a lot faster.

Not had a problem with the security on low but then i do try and make sure i don't download any viruses. ;)

Although you do get the odd download that contains one but then Kaspersky and Prevx1 always detects them. :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll take a look at the free ones that they have out there. I guess best way to know is to try them out.

8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

:twisted: sorry guys two antiviruses i hate is kaspersky and nortons... i used to trust my pcs with them until the day i started working at my last job... NOD32 for me... its cheaper than all the rest (25 GBP a year).. and if anyone thinks i work for them - i wish!!! i just seen the results vs the rest and nothing beats this AV...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  9. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

NOD32 on desktop and bitdefender on laptop

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  10. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I used AVG for nigh on a year. Recently, I swicthed to Avast! after reading good things about it and on my first scan it found three infected files that AVG missed in all it's scans. For me, AVG is very limited in options, you can't event choose what to do with infected files. Avast! has loads of options including a very handy pre-boot scan. For a free AV, it's one of the best I've seen.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270