Antivirus boot cd's

Discussion in 'Software' started by Raffaz, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Hi,
    Just wondering what antivirus boot cd's you lot recommend? And how do ya go about updating them with the latest virus definitions before you run them? Is this the most effective way for virus removal, or are there better ways, apart from the obvious format c: :D

Mick

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  2. Raffaz

Forgot to ask, are there malware boot cds available aswell? Cheers

3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

have a search here for portable apps, im not sure how it would work in "boot mode" but with these, you run them of you pen or whatever and it creates a temp dir when you update the definations...

there are plenty of portable apps out there...

4. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Create a BartPE disk, you can run Adaware from it and there are about two or three anti-virus plugins aswell. To update it, you just burn a new copy of the definitions file to the CD as when you feel like it.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

actually Baba's way is alot more convienent, you also have the Linux Live cds, but BartPE is better (saying that i only used BartPE and LunixLive cds a few times) :oops:

6. Raffaz

seems like a canny program, having problems with installing mcafee tho. Do i actually need to have this installed on me system, coz everytime i try and run sdat it says i that it cant find a qualifying product. Cheers

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Dave,

As for Anti-Virus boot discs, most app's have the option of creating a disc from within the <control centre>.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. Baba O'Riley

I found it quite hard finding the right files for it but it should work with out you owning the product.

Have you followed the instructions for the plugin?

My sdat file is probably not up-to-date, but I can email it to you if you can't find it.

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I could be wrong but I believe McAfee only intentionally provide their superdat file to registered customers.

BartPE rocks, I used it recently on a customers PC that refused to boot at all, in fact Windows repair said it didn't recognise the disk file system and wanted to re-format. BartPE first showed me that the disk was mostly still in tact with all the customer files and allowed me to to a chkdsk /r to fix it up and easily recover their data. 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. Baba O'Riley

The makers of BartPE have gone out of their way to prove the disk builder itself doesn't breach the Windows EULA so they are obviously wary of being labelled as pirates and I ftp'd the file from Network Associates' own site. Because of these two facts, I assumed the Mcaffee plugin didn't breach any copyrights (although admittedly, I found it strange that Mcaffee would be making this file freely available). I don't know for sure though.

11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Okay Baba I have done a bit of research (googleing) and I now believe it is freeware - thanks!

12. Baba O'Riley

Cool. Funny thing though, giving it away like that.

13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes it's odd for McAfee.

I would personally use some caution when running it though. I have used it many times from DOS and it has worked well in removing malware. However, the last time I ran it, it deleted two or three system files and totally messed up the OS. Also, from my experience it does delete a few false positives.

14. Raffaz

Yeah i followed the instructions, althought the link doesnt actually take you to any SDAT files, just DAT ones. I had a look round and found some SDAT in a different directory, but maybe they arent the right files. Could you possibly email the one you have. Cheers

Mick

15. Raffaz

I managed to get it working, i downloaded it again and it seems ok. newest i could find is sdat4875

16. Baba O'Riley

That looks about right. I last updated mine about a month ago but I won't be able to tell you what version it is until I get home.

17. Baba O'Riley

Yep, mines 4825 so you must have an up-to-date version.:thumbleft