Answer back from Comptia regarding the A+ 2009

Discussion in 'A+' started by Kitkatninja, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi All,

I've seen alot of people ask about the A+ 2009 revision, and while we do try to give the best advice based on certain facts and past experience. Giving the same answer multiple time can be abit mundane :)

Anyway, I thought that I might as well start a new thread about the A+ 2009 here as a point of reference.

Currently the 2009 objectives for the A+ are only proposed, we only got the invite to participate in the online survey on the 3rd of Dec 2008, so nothing has been finalised yet. In fact the Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) workshop for the A+ 2009 has not even been held yet, it is due to be held on January the 19th to the 23rd 2009. I believe that they will be finalised by the first to second quarter of next year (but don't quote me).

Based on previous actions by Comptia, my guess-timate would be that you'll have about a 3 month period to complete the A+ once the objectives are finalised. Normally, Comptia gives a cross-over period between the new version and the old version - this gives training providers (both private and educational establishments) & people who self study time to finish off the courses that they run.

I have received an e-mail back from Comptia regarding the 2009 revision:

So please do not be worried. At this point in time even Comptia themselves do not know when the exam update will be released. If I come across anymore information regarding the A+ 2009, I'll post them up here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

Thanks for keeping us all imformed, am really gonna go up a gear in the new year with my studying to get pased before the new changes

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST, N+
  3. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Yes, thanks for the information :) I posted a topic about it because I was slightly worried. Perhaps I'll have enough time to pass N+ as well :D

4. Rachael_B

Rachael_B Nibble Poster

Thanks very much for the info - its put my mind at ease and got me motivated again to crack on with my studying :)

Certifications: A+, ITIL v3 Fdn, Network+
    WIP: 70-680, 70-685
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Another update on the A+ 2009 version:

So by the sounds of that, the exam is be released in Q3 (Q3 starts in August and ends in September; Q1 is Jan to Mar, Q2 is Apr to Jun). Plus with the cross-over period, this should be plenty of time for those currently studying the current A+ to finish off and pass :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. mr.manuel

mr.manuel New Member

CompTIA A+ (2009 Edition) to Launch in August. Get objectives here:
    http://www.comptia.org/certifications/testprep/examobjectives.aspx

In August 2009, CompTIA will launch the 2009 Edition of CompTIA A+. The 2009 Edition will consist of two exams, CompTIA A+ Essentials (220-701) and CompTIA A+ Practical Application (220-702). Take the exam to update your CompTIA A+ certification or earn it for the first time.

The new version of CompTIA A+ Essentials is intended for the entry-level IT professional with at least 500 hours of hands-on experience in the lab or field. It tests for the fundamentals of computer technology, networking and security, as well as the communication skills and professionalism previously included in the 603 and 604 exams.

Exam 220-702, Practical Application, is an extension of the knowledge and skills identified in CompTIA A+ Essentials, but the focus is on scenarios in which troubleshooting and tools must be applied to resolve problems, with more of a “hands-on” orientation.

Successful completion of both 220-701 and 220-702 is required for CompTIA A+ (2009 Edition) certification. CompTIA A+ certification is frequently a requirement for entry-level IT jobs. It is recognized internationally and confirms that an IT professional has the skills necessary to do the job.

Some examples of job roles held by CompTIA A+ certified individuals are enterprise technician, field service technician, PC or support technician, or IT administrator.

Note: The existing CompTIA A+ exams (220-601, 220-602, 220-603, and 220-604) remain relevant and are in use by organizations and educational institutions throughout the world. They will remain available until July 31, 2010.

7. Signore

Signore New Member

Thansk Heaps for the update =D Any idea when study material will be released?

Certifications: None
    WIP: None
  8. thepureintheheart

thepureintheheart Bit Poster

Mike Meyers said on his forum:'October is my best guess.'

WIP: A+, Network+, MCDST
  9. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

hey all
    just wondering if you were half way through the 6th edition would you stop and wait forthe 09 verison?

Certifications: HND Computer networking, 70-271
    WIP: A+
  10. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

No. Why wait for the study materials to come out when you can take the 60x exams as soon as you're ready.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  11. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

:D cheers

Certifications: HND Computer networking, 70-271
    WIP: A+
  12. zet

zet Byte Poster

Hi guys,

I'm just about to start revising for the A+ exam, I'm going with a rough estimate that it will take me 2 to 3 months to complete. So should I start with the 2006 or just wait for 2009? Will the 2006 exam still be available in 3 months time? (I know its valid until 2010)..and say I do gain the 2006 certificate will I need to then do the 2009 exam later anyway?

Thanks In advance

Certifications: BSc, MSc, A+
  13. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

The 2006 exams will be available until July 31st 2010, and CompTIA exams do not expire and theres no onus on you to upgrade to the new version. Your better off going for the '06 objectives at the moment if for no other reason than the amount of study materials for the old objectives are just so much more abundant!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  14. zet

zet Byte Poster

I agree, for the 2006 there is so much content both free and paid (books) ..thank you for clearing that up :)

Certifications: BSc, MSc, A+
  15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I imagine, based on everything I've read in this thread, that you can expect to see study materials for the A+ 2009 exam start showing up on Amazon and in book stores within the next couple of months.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  16. Len

Len Byte Poster

Once them 2009 books are up for sale, I'm gonna start studying for my Comptia A+! :D

At least by time I have my CompTIA A+, I will of had a few months real experience in the workplace to back it up. :)

Certifications: BND IT Practitioners
    WIP: Comptia A+