Another question from the Newb

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by rwilmot, Jun 24, 2009.

1. rwilmot

rwilmot Nibble Poster

Hello once again folks,

I have a student that has asked me to help her with some coding.

It is to do with a sequence of numbers, the Fibonacci sequence e.g. 1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,34. all the way upto 20 numbers in the sequence.

Basically, she wants to define some variables, and has to use parrallel arrays.

This is what I have been given, is that too brief for ya or can someone chuck something together?

I appreciate your time guys (and gals if present)

Thanks

Richie

Certifications: Village Idiot Award
    WIP: working towards everything..
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

most common programming problem - i would use google with the programming language you want

Java example:
    http://www.dreamincode.net/code/snippet493.htm

im sure this is an introductory programming class - and from my experience if you sit and get solutions like this you never going to get past the basics.

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

For the life of me I cannot see why the use of a parallel array would be forced! :blink

Anyway, when a programmer is presented with a problem that they cannot mentally visualise as a sequence of steps they normally write them down.

Is she able to talk you through the actions that generate the Fibonacci Sequence? If not, get her to do that first, then look at the information that needs to be stored for the next step, etc. :)

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.