another newbie to forum

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by stevfor, Mar 25, 2010.

1. stevfor

stevfor New Member

hello everyone.. been browsing this site for a few months now but today decided to join up

just completed my A+ 701/702 and now intend on doing ccent

Also have few mcps on win server 2000/03

2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :)

How much IT experience do you have?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

A+ and CCENT... that's an interesting combination. One is for new techs, the other for more experienced techs...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome am also a newbir going through my A+

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Welcome, wilkommen, bienvenue :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  9. stevfor

stevfor New Member

yes just 2 years helpdesk exp

decided on ccent over N+ as wanted to try different provider. I do know a bit on what is covered on ccent like osi and tcp/ip models, subnetting, and ip addressing. Ccent is also considered an entry level exam although it is obviously quite complex at the same time.. but I'm up for the challenge.

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Actually, no, it's not considered an entry-level exam, despite the poor choice of exam name by Cisco. The CCENT is designed for someone who is just starting to (or being asked to) work on Cisco devices. As such, none of the exam objectives relate to what an entry-level tech would ever be asked to do, because no company in their right mind would allow entry-level techs to work on Cisco gear.

Doesn't matter whether you understand the concepts - you likely do understand them. But the exam covers how to implement those theoretical concepts on Cisco routers. If you aren't working on Cisco routers, the certification is not gonna be of much use to you, even if you pass the exam.

If you want to take an exam that covers the basics and theoretical application of networking - which, in my opinion, should be your logical next step - you should knock out Network+. With the knowledge you already have, it shouldn't take you long.

Afterwards, I'd recommend that you pursue the MCDST, which covers Windows XP support... and start to look for proper desktop administration jobs, preferably one where you can start shadowing server administrators so you can start gaining server administration experience.

Remember, certification isn't designed to show an employer what you WANT to be doing... it's designed to validate to an employer what you ALREADY have experience doing. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!