Another new user introduction

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by FredL, Apr 27, 2009.

1. FredL

FredL New Member

Hello all!
    I found this forum after googling about a bit, and I'm quite unsure of what to do next.

So far, I have 11 years experience working in the IT industry. I'm a break/fix technician having worked primarily on hardware and Microsoft operating systems. Working as a field service engineer, replacing hardware on laptops, desktops and servers has been fun, but now I'm looking to expand my horizon.

About 6 months ago, I quit my job in Norway, and moved to the UK. I've been checking out different job sites and it seems I don't quite fit the criteria many employers are looking for. So I figured seeing I don't have a job at the moment I should work on getting some certifications. Problem is, I have no idea what direction to go. I've contacted CompuTrain to see what they can offer. And after reading a few posts here on the forum, I'm not sure that's the way to go either.

I would like to get a MCSE certification, but I don't have the suggested pre-requisite of having worked with user management and active directory in a 250+ user environment. And it seems I won't be able to get that experience because employers wants people who already have certifications so they don't have to train new staff.

It's a bit of a conundrum what I should do next. Self-study might take a long time, and I'm not sure I'd find employment while getting my self certified. Going for a training company seems like a good solution for me, but it also seems very fast paced, possibly also with a high fail percentage.

Anywho, that's me. Any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated. ;)

--
    Fred

Certifications: None
    WIP: Undecided
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

Judging by your experience, why not go for the MCDST, MCSA, MCTS in Vista, the A+ & the Network+, to point you in the right direction.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I would agree with Ken on what path to follow.

If you get those certs I'm sure it would only be a matter of time until you were in a position to take the MCSE exams.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. FredL

FredL New Member

Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to this thread!
    Thanks so much for your kind reply. I think your suggestion is great, and I would like to start with the MCDST certification.
    However, I was wondering if anyone could tell me a little about the process to achieve the certification? Do I simply order some books and sign up to take the exams somewhere? :-p

Pardon my ignorance! :)

Regards,
    Fred

5. FredL

FredL New Member

Search, and you shall find. Sorry guys, I just found the MCDST forum and this thread answering my questions. Off to do some reading. ;)

--
    Fred

6. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

We've discussed just about everything so the search is very handy :D

Welcome :biggrin

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I didn't get to say hi the first time around, so hi and welcome to the forum. :biggrin

I hope you find the information helpful.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685