Another new face

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by asje1, Oct 16, 2007.

1. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

Hi all.

Just want to introduce myself. I have browsed the site for a few days now and basically i think the forum seems a wise choice to join up for support.

Im currently 19 years old and after failing to join the Army i have chosen to persue a career in IT Support.

Working at a water company at the moment - in the midlands, which helps pay for lifes bills and of course the MCSE course i am doing.

Im doing my course with Advent, and am studying CompTIA A+ at the present.

Im sure i will ask quite a few basic questions but please bare with me i am new to this but hope i can someday be giving advise.

Regards

J

Certifications: A+, N+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

I would like to let you know that after you A+ get an IT job as you shouldn't get the MCSE cert if you dont have a job you'll find it harder to get into IT with an MCSE and no proper experience than you will with the A+ and no experience.

Good luck with your course.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi and welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

Hi.

Thanks for the quick responce...

Yeah i know i will need to find a job after the A+ module, the company im training through give advise and help find a employer once your almost ready for the A+ exams etc.

How hard is it to find a job once i have the A+?

Advent told me they have a database with jobs for graduate MCSE students... just hope that its a decent database!?

6. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

Cheers for the warm welcome :thumbleft

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

A cert such as the A+ does not mean you will get a job as experience counts as the best thing, what a cert can do is give you an advantage over your competition.

And also I would take the fact that they say they'll get you job with a pinch of salt.

If you look and training a development forum you'll see a thread on training provider ADvent is mentioned a lot.

Most people on here advocate self study as its cheaper and not that difficult, but everyone has their own way to study.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

I see.

Yeah self study is a great way to get a cert, only thing i find is sometimes i let myself slip from time to time...

I understand experience is a must have, so after the A+ getting a job within a IT environment is going to benefit me until im fully qualified, and more than likely pay more than my current job!

Advent have been good with me so far, i think when they said they find me a job, i ment they will help me get an interview and look in the right direction as to what job to apply for.

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Too bad about using a training provider... my condolences.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

Sometimes we rush into signing things before we understand what were signing up for...

Maybe ill use the provider for the MCSE, but try to self study for another cert.

Thanks for the welcome.

11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Good point!:thumbleft

Welcome to CF:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  12. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Welcome

I'm in the same shoes as you funnily enough. When I was 16 or 17 I failed to join the army at the medical, it was due to being ill that winter with a really bad cold or the flu. I had to do some extensive tests at the hospital and I was told that I was good to go - shame I had a change of heart.

I'm now 22 and am just starting out on the IT road and, like you, looked into going with Advent for an MCSE. I had the advisor round at my house telling me a little about the course but mostly focusing on the jobs and money you "can" get after each certification. It all seemed too good to be true, that is, until he mentioned that the cost for the course would be £4,700 and that the loan you can get with the bank has a high interest rate after 9 or 12months.

Apparently the advisor thought I was good enough for the course and he was happy to put me forward. I decided that, while I was waiting to hear back about getting a placement on the course, I'd have a search online about this said company. I found this forum, as you have done, and read through many of the advent topics/posts and eventually decided that it would be much more worth while to go the self-study method.

It can be a little difficult to motivate yourself, especially when you're working a full time job with alternating shifts, but I'd rather get through slowly but surely £5k better off than a quick slap dash minus £5k. I feel it gives me time to really learn what it is I'm studying, not just the bare essentials for passing an exam.

One of the main concerns is what you need to study, what different certs lead to MCSE and self motivation issues. I personally find that this forum ALONE has enough information on study routes, certification paths and motivation, not only from direct comments but from seeing how well others have achieved.

It's a shame you rushed on into the Advent course, but you can still make the most of what they offer. I just hope that others out there will benefit from topics/posts like this.

Dave

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  13. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Might I also add: You don't need to wait until you pass the A+ - I've started looking for IT jobs already and I've gotten my first call back today, it's only the 2nd job I've applied for!

14. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  15. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  16. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

Dave,

Thanks for your post. I at first failed for having a heart mermer, once i got checked out i was ready to go back but like yourself i had a change of mind, it really takes it out of you.

What was you going in as? I wanted to be in the int corps.

Im too late now, ive signed up with Advent, its 5k lost i know, we learn from our mistakes and i have only really thought about looking for a forum last week, before i looked for MCSE qualified jobs etc....

I didnt take the high intrest option... i chose to pay monthly amount, £137.00 a month with full support etc... and 2 workshop days during the A+ module - so i dont have to but a study lab as its covered in the workshop days i believe, although i think im going too get anohther PC to practise on.

I have found a job spec in the local paper today, i might send them my CV. I mean typically what type of business would be a good choice?

17. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Re,

I was actually looking to join the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards, tank regiment :twisted:

Yea, can't hurt to hand them your CV - so give it a shot.

18. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Ah, my old field... :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  19. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF, at least now you know not to go with a training provider for next time in the future. Best wishes in your choice and route of study. Remember with hard work a lot can be achieved:biggrin

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  20. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

Yeah!? How did you find it? I really enjoyed reading into what i was going to be doing... but i never had the motivation in the end after the medical set backs - no attitude for where i wanted to go. Plus the girlfriend and the family lectures eventually took over.

Haha, nice... shame you didnt end up going, any regret? I sometimes wish id of gone, but deep down i know it isnt me... i feel like id enjoy it for a few years then it wouldnt be the same.

Thanks for the welcome.