Another Neebie ....

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by kinger247, Sep 6, 2005.

1. kinger247

kinger247 Bit Poster

Hi all, my name is Karl.

I stumbled on this website by accident whilst trying to find a place where I can just do the MCAD exams and not the full course. :rolleyes:

I've got 11 odd years as a programmer using a wide range of languages and tools.
    I’ve never been certified before but I’m planning on going the MCAD-MCSE route.
    Currently I’m using VB6, but have used C/C++ and a little VB.NET.

I don’t want to pay the £££££’s for a full course as I’m funding it myself, so I guess I’m trying to cut a few corners and just do the exams.
    Is this possible???

I have in my arsenal the MS .NET Core Requirements books and CD’s. I hope this is enough??

Certifications: None (yet)
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Karl. Welcome to CertForums. Glad you found us. Hope we can help out. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Karl - welcome along. Hope we can help (and feel free to pitch in with some answers anytime as well). You should find a friendly bunch here. :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums! :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Welcome to CF karl! anything is possible, I'm sure that there are others around here that have gone the MCAD self study route. With a lot of hard work and help (from this lot :p ) I'm sure you'll make it.

8)

6. kinger247

kinger247 Bit Poster

Thankyou all, I feel welcome already !

Has anyone done any exams in Birmingham (or near), or know of any places to take just the exams they could recommend ?

There are a few places I know, but any recommendations would be good, also, whats the usual price for an exam nower days ??

I started out with Computeach years ago, with a C course. I know they're very expensive, and when you visit their building in Dudley you can see where all your money goes !!
    I paid around £3,500 for a diploma and NVQ !!! got me nowhere ... So I ended up joining a company via the back door as a printer operator in a major software house. :D

7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hi Karl and welcome to the forums :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Hey Karl, stick around, always find a visit to this place an education.

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  9. sneezie

sneezie Nibble Poster

Welcome to the forums :D

I'm going down the self-study route for my MCAD. I did an IT degree and have basic knowledge of VB6. I think I'm intelligent enough to teach myself. With all your programming experience, I'm sure you be fine!! So it is possible to just teach urself and sit the exams.

I only spent about £70 on books, this is much cheaper than spending thousands of pounds on a course. But teaching yourself does require a lot of self-discipline, I have to force myself to sit down and study. I'm hoping to complete my first 2 exams within 6 months.

Best of luck!

Certifications: Degree
    WIP: MCAD in vb.net
  10. kinger247

kinger247 Bit Poster

Hi Sneezie,

I'm planning on doing 2 exams by Christmas. Gives me a date to aim for and if I miss it I won't worry and try for the end of Jan. I actually started last night!

Funny though, I spend so much time reading specs and updating myself with manuals etc, and that’s easy. But knowing you reading for an exam and you have to remember everything you read (to an extent) its flippin hard!

I’m doing the 70-305 & 70-306 exams. I want these 2 as after the MCAD I want the MCSE, and figured they’re so close together I’ll kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Good luck in your studing ! :)

11. sneezie

sneezie Nibble Poster

About 4 months to Xmas, I better start my Xmas shopping. Hehe, just kidding :p

That's a good plan you've got. Well done for getting started! I'm planning on doing 70-305 & 70-306 exams too, and then I'll do the SQL Server exam. I'm using the Que books, they're really good. I know what you mean, I'm fine learning things, going through the exercises but when it comes to exams it's gona be hard to remember everything! I've been making lots of notes, so that I can refresh my memory before my exams.

Good luck with ur studying too and let us know how you're doing :D

Certifications: Degree
    WIP: MCAD in vb.net
  12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  13. kinger247

kinger247 Bit Poster

Only a female thinks of shopping for Xmas this time of year sneezie!! :biggrin