another MCSE taker!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by m4ndr4k3, Feb 24, 2009.

1. m4ndr4k3

m4ndr4k3 New Member

hi people, just started a new job in a small consultancy firm, and have been tasked by the by the new boss to complete my MSCE 2003. ive done the 4 core W2K exams a few years ago but never finished the whole track, then started on the 2K3 track from scratch but failed 70-290 the first time round. quit my job to go travelling soon after so thats where it ended. sooo now im back and studying for 70-290 again. im finding it quite easy tbh but i think this is just a false sense of security :biggrin

im here to pick up some tips and hope to find out which of the commercial training packages available out there will give me confidence to go do 290 again. ive looked at transcenders, they better be bloody good for the price. measureup - after some research it seems people arnt too impressed with them, they come across suspiciously cheap too. i managed to get a dodgy copy of pass4sure but they seem very easy and so im not convinced they any good really, few wrong answers too. otherwise i might just bite the bullet and go do it, ive registerd for second shot already!

cheers! `

2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Firstly, hello and welcome to the forums.

Secondly - You're not going to find much love here if you're openly admitting to acquiring a 'dodgy' copy of pass4sure papers.

Pass4Sure = Braindump ((See: pass4sure.com))

Braindump = Risk of Decertification because you're cheating

Do it legitimately please, for the love of god...

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. m4ndr4k3

m4ndr4k3 New Member

...oops

wasnt aware they were similar to braindumps, which i agree are generally useless as a real studying tool.
    ive got near on 10 years experience as MS analyst\administrator\engineer and very aware of paper MCSE's, came across lots of them back in the days of NT4\2000.

like i said, im not convinced by the reliablilty of the above mentioned as a study tool. besides that, the exams have changed a lot and employers have wisened up. im only interested in building on my knowledge with real study methods\guides. saying that there must be packages that give you an insight into what to expect in terms of exam structures and patterns and the depth of questioning on certain subjects, for example, i remember doing 290 and there were even scripting questions which i totally didnt expect as there isnt that much mention of it in the book, not in the way the exam demanded it anyway. most of my day to day scripting solutions come via google!

thanks for the heads up.

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

they aren't similar to braindumps they are braindumps.

You should need much studying anyhow with you experience.

Good luck and welcome to CF

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

GBL's right - they aren't similar to braindumps, they ARE braindumps.

It doesn't matter how much the exams have changed. When the exams change, the braindumps change.

The exam doesn't test you on what YOU do on a day-to-day basis... the exam tests you on ANYTHING within certain subject-matter domains, whether you expect the questions or not. Besides, a 'surprise' scripting question or two isn't going to be the reason you ultimately pass or fail.

I would recommend you get the MSPress and/or Sybex book for 70-290 and study it, skimming the stuff you have experience doing. Then, get a practice exam from a reputable practice exam provider. Typically, you get what you pay for, so don't go cheap. After all, you wouldn't want the guy making the lowest amount of money teaching you, would you? I wouldn't - I'd want the best. And the best don't come cheap.

Since I write for a practice exam provider, I won't give any recommendations, as my opinions are quite biased. What I will do is suggest that you download demos from each of the major players and see which one offers you the best bang-for-the-buck in terms of content and detailed, logical, technically accurate explanations.

Welcome to the forums. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. m4ndr4k3

m4ndr4k3 New Member

Thank you very much, some quality advice. Looks like I found the right board!