another Interview, running out of excuses..

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by VantageIsle, Jul 13, 2007.

1. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

I have applyed for a few entry level IT jobs and so far so good.

I had one a few weeks back. (faked medical apointment)

another yesterday (another faked medical appointment, rolled in on afternoon)

and have just recived a letter saying I am invited for an interview this coming Tuesday at midday.

It is getting very hard to find creative ways to get off work to go to a job interview. In short I'm running out of excuses.

I hate lying, but I have no chioce. my boss is far from the understanding type, he sacks people in a whim. constently underpays staff and docks wages from employees he does not like (not me yet) not so long ago he tried to put a stop to tea breaks (drinking tea on my time!!) and was gutted to find out it was illegal.

I have a 40/50 min car journey to work and I get dirty at work so lunchtime interviews are out (i only get 30 mins anyway)

I work 10 hour days so after and before work are a no go.

Plus I have to give 3 weeks notice for any holiday (what interviewer gives you 3 weeks notice?)

I guess some of you have been in this position, how did you cope with it?

More sick days makes my employment record look bad to any prospective employer, however if I told my boss I was looking for another job I'm sure he would sack me.

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Honesty is the best policy.

Tell them exactly where you are going.

8)

3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Docks wages for people he does not like
    I don't know where you work from adam, but that's highly suspect, are you sure its even legal?

If that really is the case, then honesty is far from the best policy
    you tell him and your likely gone

hell in my last place I got put on garden leave as soon as they knew I was applying elsewhere, its a bit different in IT security/sales environments because of the potential risks involved
    in IT security leaving often doesn't involve it, but if you get given notice it definitely is
    in Sales both ways it occurs, as its an environment where people tend to try and take clients with them from job to job

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Sounds the like the owner of a manufacturing company I worked for in the late 80's...a complete jerk.....I attempted to resign but he sacked me anyway!

Just play it cool mate - after all it pays the bills! - and this clown has no respect for his employees.

I reckon just bide your time, also give the interviewers some options to either:

1. Interview you in lunchtime in work gear, your dress code is not critical - you either know the entry level technical job or you dont. Different case if you are going for a senior role
    OR
    2. Interview you after hours or the weekend.

Basically you can afford to be open with interviewers but not your current boss!

- just dont paint your employer in a bad light in an interview..this is more lethal than what you are wearing.

Good luck with it all.

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Call in sick. Even the most understanding boss in the world is going to balk if you tell him/her to their face that you are taking time off to interview for another job.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. nekky

nekky Bit Poster

Normally I would agree with everyone else in saying that honesty is the best policy, which was what I did beause I get on well with my team and I'd feel guilty about it , but in your case, I'd call in sick. You should always look after no.1

Certifications: BSc Computer Science
    WIP: 70-270, 70-290 ...for now
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'd take a vacation day, but as you say, they want 3 weeks notice. Bad situation.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

Hmmm midday, this might be cutting it fine, but call in about half hour after your due in and say you have had a car accident/car problem and your waiting for the AA to come help you and that you will be in ASAP (after the interview)

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Make sure to call from your cell phone while outside so the person at the other end can hear street noises. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Sounds like a good idea.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  11. Peggsta

Peggsta Bit Poster

Sounds like one of my old d*ckhead employers, only a bit worse.

I agree with all of the above, in this case you gotta be artistic with the truth. :(

A point to note from what you say about your employer is he may get the hump and not give you a good reference (sick record etc) or not give you any reference at all, (my old boss went that way) but he CANNOT lie about you in a reference because you can sue his ass for it. :twisted:

Good luck in your interviews and job search.

Certifications: None yet
    WIP: A+ N+ CCNA
  12. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

I agree.

The washing machine/dishwasher has flooded me thus far quite a few times more than it should have..

You have to look after #1.

3 weeks to apply for any annual leave? the most I've heard of is 2.

If you're at 3rd interview it's looking good so I'd take a sikky over laying cards on the table. Not exactly ethical but it's business at the end of the day.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  13. VantageIsle

cheers guys, don't know why I'm worrying about this but I am. Yes, I have to look after No1 I have bills and a morgage to pay (BTW I don't get paid whilst off sick so I'm not cheating the company much anyway).

I can't use the car trouble excuse because I work at an accident repair centre, they would just send a driver to pick me up and offer have my vehicle recovered (at a discount rate no doubt)

I told my manager Today about the interviews I have lined up he wished me luck and adviced me to keep it to myself, he knows the boss very well and is sure he would sack me even though they do need me!!

14. VantageIsle

I know its not legal, but we were all made to sign a contract that allowed him to do this, also to charge us repair bill when we damage our overalls and lots of other dodgy stuff like that. One guy refused to sign and his life was made so miserable he was forced to leave. He was docked wages even in his last pay cheque, took the boss to a tribunal and lost!!! This guy gets away with stuff like this an has done for years. Can’t wait to get out of this industry and away people like him.

15. VantageIsle

cheers, should i ask him for a referance when I leave then?

or does the employer ask for this, if so how do I know what he is saying about me?

16. VantageIsle

LOL at that pesky washine machine!!

BTW It was your "first job in IT" website I was reading yesterday (over branflakes and coffee) to get me fired up for that interview!

Good site with loads of info for people like me who want to get into IT but have no idea where to start (along with cert forums of course)

17. nekky

nekky Bit Poster

When you get a new job offer, you will need to ask his permission to put him down as an employment referee when your new employer requests for references. The prospective employer will than contact him directly, either by email or by post to confirm your job position there, punctuality rating,number of sickies (so dont over-do the sickies if can help it), character... etc .

If you dont trust his judgement, you can always use your manager as a referee instead since his positions implies that he oversees your work too.

Certifications: BSc Computer Science
    WIP: 70-270, 70-290 ...for now
  18. VantageIsle

Thanks for the info, I have put my manager down as a referee on my last application form, I guess that the smart choice as he knows me well and is a decent guy. I let him know about a week ago I plan to start looking for jobs because he asked me if I would like to run my work area (a foreman job of sorts) I had to say thanks but no thanks because I could not commit to this role.

I have been training a guy up in my department so hopefully when I leave he can jump into my shoes, he is happy to learn and making great progress so I'm doing the right thing with regards to the chaps who I work with.

My employement record is quite good, never late only had a week off due to a twisted ankle, I was never sick in the employment before this one so its all good.

19. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Firs thing is mate your boss cant sack you because you are looking for another job, if my boss did that to me I'd have him in job tribunal so fast his fat arse wouldnt get out his jag when he comes to work.

Second of all what sort of place are working at where they dont pay you when your sick? If your being paid by salary you should get sick pay, you get 12 weeks pay before any changes to your money happens.

If your boss does find out you CAN take him to an unfair dismissal hearing.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  20. VantageIsle

Yeah, Sorry I should have re-phrased that I mean the boss would get rid of me, or he would FIND a way to sack me. Fact is I'd rather not go down this road of fighting a battle with him. My main plan is to find an entry level IT job, hand my notice in (only one week) and wave goodbye to him and the whole sorry industry.

We get paid monthly, any days off are deducted from our pay, also if you forget to clock in or out you are docked the full days wages, even if they knew you were in attendance. a few guys have lost out on wages because they forgot to clock out at the end of the day. Somedays I feel like I'm working in the victorian era!

Also, get this, we are given 20 day holidays but all bank holidays and public holidays plus 3 day the site is closed over christmas are DEDUCTED form your holiday entitlement, this leaves you with about 8 days paid holiday a year!!!! and yes he can do this, as an employer is not obliged to pay you for bank and public holidays.

What a company eh!