Another ICND1/CCNA future lab setup question

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by j1mgg, Mar 20, 2013.

1. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

Afternoon,

Have sometime at work just now and am cleaning out out local comms room and my build room and was wondering if any of this will be any good for me to set up a lab with for my ICND/CCNA training, hopefully start July.

I have the following in the office just now

4 x Cisco Catalyst 2960 series PoE - 24
    1 x Cisco 2800 (2811)
    5 x Summit x250e - 48p
    1 x Summit x450e - 48p
    1 x Cisco 800 (876)
    1 x Juniper Networks Netscreen 50
    Lightning Edge 46(?)
    BT LAN/SAN extension services box

If any of this will be of use for me once I start my CCNA then i can keep it here as it isnt getting used and not earmarked for anywhere else, but if it isnt of any use then it is getting shipped back to head office.

Cheers and sorry about another ICND/CCNA question as I have seen some very similars ones but because I dont really know what they are couldnt decipher what I needed

Jim

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  2. GW

GW Byte Poster

All the Cisco gear but the Cisco 876 will be a great start to your lab, the 876 you will find limiting when working it with other routers since you can't add serial cables and other things to it. I had a couple of them and they are good for learning some configuration but as a lab router it is too limited. the Juniper I would keep as well since you can start using it for working on Juniper certifications as well, they are harder than Cisco certs but if you get them its worth it for your career.

The Summit switches I have no clue, you could probably use them to do some switching labs with open protocols for spanning tree and such but working with Cisco propritary protocols they will not be of any help other than to see it not work with them.

The Lightning Edge and the BT LAN/SAN service boxes I don't think will be of much use to you but I'll bow down to others who would be more knowledgeable of those devices but I think they are related to the WAN connection your company has.

One thing is nice about the Catalyst 2960's you have there, they are PoE so you can add VoIP Phones and Wireless devices that run on PoE so makes things a little bit cheaper when expanding.

GW

Certifications: MCP x4, CompTia x3
    WIP: Cisco CCNA