Another Hello

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by skotbites, Jan 22, 2009.

1. skotbites

skotbites Bit Poster

Hey everyone I'm Scott been lurking here for around a week and just got around to join up.

I'm 29 and work in debt counselling I've always had a great interest in IT and have always wanted to work in that sector.

My problem is as probably with many on here, I have absolutely no qualifications in IT, I have little experience in IT support for my team at work also the usual tinkering and building pc's and home networks for friends and family.

I quite like my current job and really like the company I work for however I am looking at working towards an IT qualification should an IT position come up to allow me to be in a better position when applying.

I'm leaning towards the CompTia A+ and self studying. I cant really afford to take a pay cut which is another reason why I'd like to stay with the same company as the IT helpdesk role is the same salary grade that I'm on now.

I've heard ITIL banded about but not sure if this is too much too soon for me.

Any comments or suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers

WIP: CompTIA A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome:)

I Would say go for the A+ first as it will teach you the basics and set you up for getting futher/higher certifications in the future.

The A+ is geared towards people looking for their first IT jobs.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums! A+ is a great place to start.

The problem with this plan is that it is diffcult (and in some cases, impossible) to get a job making the same amount of money because you don't have the requisite experience.

What I mean is this: let's say I wanted to stop working in IT and start being a debt counselor (or any other career), but I couldn't afford to take a pay cut. Would I be able to automagically get a job as a debt counselor making the same amount of money as I make now? Of course not. Someone with the same amount of experience as I have would take less money to do the same job... and I wouldn't qualify for a debt counseling position that would pay the same as what I'm making now because I don't have enough experience.

That said, if your current company is willing to take you on at that rate, by all means, proceed onward!!

Everyone starts at the bottom... but nobody says you have to stay there forever. It's not "get rich quick"... but it is a worthwhile career for those who truly enjoy IT.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. skotbites

skotbites Bit Poster

The "entry level" IT helpdesk is the same role level as my current position which is around £18k so it's not a huge salary. I'm just at a stage (approaching 30) where I think it's about time I started working toward my actual career goals rather than just drifting through paying the bills.

I've applied for the position before and very narrowly missed out (don't they always say that) as the other person had more It experience.

I managed to get shortlisted for a position in IT service management but again narrowly missed out to someone who had put themselves through the ITIL course. The company would have put me on the course if I'd got the job but they saved money by employing this other person which makes sense.

SO I'm sure I'll be asking for more and more advice as I get stuck in and if anyone needs and debt advice in return then ask someone else!!! Only jokin I'll try my best to help where I can.

Scott

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Well, that's the problem I'm describing... for that position which pays £18k, they'll want someone with more experience than what you've got. Just like if I decided to get a debt counseling position at the level you're at, I'd get beat out by people who have more experience than me. The way I would get into debt counseling is to take an entry-level job, where I'm more likely to compete against others who, like me, also don't have any experience... right? Same with IT, mate.

Again, I'm not saying that you're not gonna be able to find an entry-level IT job making £18k... you very well might. But it's gonna be difficult to do if you restrict your search to JUST the jobs that pay that salary. Getting your first IT job is hard enough! No need to make it even MORE difficult on yourself!

Remember, every day that you're not doing an IT job is one less day of experience you could be gaining IN an IT job. At some point, you'll have been better off tightening the belt, taking the pay cut, and advancing in your new career. No steps back, no steps forward. One step back... five steps forward!!!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

I do agree with what BosonMichael saying mostly but i would just say that 18k is not really a vast amount of money and i have personally seen many jobs advertised on reed and other sites which were for similar sums and sometimes up to and around 22k which were entry type positions that asked for virtually no IT skills or qualifications as they would be provided via training once selected.

He is right to say that you should not really set a lower limit on salary though if you are fresh into IT. I would take what i could get if i were you (hopefully that would match or come close to your salary now) then prove myself and rise up the ladder.

Having a few certs before applying for IT roles obviously marks you out. I would recommend getting the qualifications necessary but still apply for jobs in the meantime and take a chance you get lucky.

I have my ITIL exam tomorrow and will hopefully pass. I'm not sure whether it would help someone looking for entry level positions in IT. I doubt it would do any harm though.

Good luck with the studies and IT job search :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  8. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  9. skotbites

skotbites Bit Poster

Thanks for the info guys. I have orders the A+ Mike Meyers book over the weekend so hopefully that will show up soon.

I'm going to have a look round the A+ forum for more info.

I've also started to look for entry level IT jobs and it does look quite promising that I won't have to take a pay cut, in some cases the advertised salaries are slightly more.

Looking forward to getting stuck in and getting my hands dirty so to speak.

See you around

Scott

10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685