Another Hello Thread

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by blanch, Nov 16, 2007.

1. blanch

blanch Bit Poster

Hi everyone - being registered a while now but have being moving house so things have being on hold.

I'm looking to do an MCSE self study - i've got the determination to do self study as i have before.

Bit of background 1st, i have a BSc(Hons) Computing (2:1) which i believe gives me a base to start on, i also have a Masters in Business Studies but i've now decided i don't want to go down the Business route (it's always good to have though!)

More importantly - i have 2 years experience working 1st & 2nd Line support in an ITIL 'stylee' company - we mainly supported XP / Office and the usual suspects - as well as client specific software. I was heavily involved in Hardware support & less so in Exchange & Networking - although i do have some experience in the latter two. I've worked 8 months as an IT bod for a GP Surgery - but it was boring work, and i'm now working for the Council in an IT support role - but it is restricted as they have contracted out part of their IT support.

I'm looking to get through my MCSE 1st - and then go on after that to get my A+ & N+. I know this is really the wrong way round but i feel confident enough to go for my MCSE first.

So it's a hello to everyone - i'm sure i'll be popping up with plenty of questions and i'll try to help people myself.

David

Certifications: MCDST, 70-270, 70-290, MCTS
    WIP: N+, 70-291
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

I would strongly recommend you doing the A+ & Network+ first before going for the MCSE. I have seen lots of people fail MS exams, especially the 70-291, and they work at level 3.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. blanch

blanch Bit Poster

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the Welcome.

I know you can't really answer this question - but how long 'could' it take to get through the A+ & N+ if i were determined and worked hard to get through them quickly?

Thanks

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome.

As you say, not easy to answer this question. However - I managed it in about 3 months using my commute as the study time.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

You will be the only one that will know how long it will take you.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF David, to be honest if you set yourself a strict time frame with determination, focus, perisistence and hard work it can be done. Lastly, you truly can gauge your own ability and take it from there. Cheerio:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome to CF

I agree with the others, especially Ken you should do the A+ and N+ first when you have and only when you have around a years experience in an appropriate job should you attempt the MCSE.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

If you have the experience that you indicate, getting the A+ and N+ certifications shouldn't be too difficult. As others have said, only you can determine the time frame, but you could easily get them within a few months if you studied hard and have previous experience. That being said, I wouldn't recommend rushing through them just to get them done fast. What I would recommend is to buy a book and perhaps spend a month or so studying up for the A+ Essentials exam, then take it. Whether you pass or not, you'll get a good indication of whether the amount of time you spent studying was adequate.

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It 'could' take you no time at all... I didn't study any, but I:

1) took the exams on my employer's dollar, and at my employer's request...
    2) I didn't need to pass... and
    3) I already had many years of IT experience by the time I took them.

So how long could it take you? Anywhere from 0 days to 5+ years. But as Josh stated, it shouldn't take you all that long if you have a couple of years of experience. :) It's certainly worth doing!!

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. blanch

blanch Bit Poster

Thanks for the welcome and the advice guy's.

I think following a browse round the forum and from what you have all said i might just do my A+ and N+ 1st - i'm in no big rush to get my MCSE and i'd rather have the best knowledge base i can prior to starting it.

Those two will give me a good indication of how disciplined i'm going to be too!