Another CV - Criticisms?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Killian, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

Hey all.

I've been working in a school for just over 2 years now and since starting, haven't had any other interviews anywhere besides applying to 20+ jobs over that time.

I'm beginning to think that my CV needs revising. I've read all sorts of articles on creating the 'killer' cv but I can never seem to get them to that point.

My CV is bloated. Too much information. I just don't know what to keep and what to cut.

Would appreciate it if the kind folk of Certforums could have a look through and give me some advice?

No need to be gentle :)

I've also attached the 'covering letter'. Would like if people could run their eyes over that for critiques too :)

Attached Files:

Certifications: See sig.
    WIP: Everything!
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Dude, I didn’t even bother reading all of that CV. The presentation is not good.

Why do you start every point with “To…. Etc. etc.”, it looks crap!

You need to revise the responsibilities for each job and make it easier to read.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

Don't hold anything back Sparky :) lol

I think I used 'To' to give a complete sentance though can appreciate it may look crap. How do I revise the Job Responsibilities without taking out what I do? I've bullet pointed the main roles and things I do but if I cut it down isn't it going to look like I do less?

Maybe less is more in cases like this. If you didn't even bother reading it it doesn't bode well that an employer who has to go through a load would do the same :(

Any other advice anybody??

4. Sparky

Apologies mate. I may have come across a bit too harsh on the last post.

I get CVs on my desk all the time at work, when we post for a job hundreds come in and if the CV doesn’t look good immediately then it gets binned even if there is some great info on page 6. :biggrin

I’ve read through the whole CV this time for you….

1) Ditch the personal interests – irrelevant
    2) From the job descriptions you don’t list any key technologies – Windows 2003 etc.
    3) The first job looks like IT admin with some training put in. This doesn’t need to be a massive list of bullet points.
    4) The second job looks more technical but you also need to highlight that you managed two other members of staff – big plus point there.
    5) The third job looks entry level which is fair enough.

Reading through the job info you do have some good experience but you are not selling yourself on your CV.

I would revise the bullet points to have three or four points per job and structure then as a sentence rather than a statement.

I’m sure some other members (especially the ones who have to go through hundreds for every job application) will be able to offer some additional advice.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

No need to apologise Sparky. I think I needed someone to tell me it was crap to get my ass in gear. :biggrin

I had already started working on trimming it and tidying it up following some advice yourself and a few other peeps gave to another member on here.

Attached is the revised copy. I have removed alot of the points and tried to keep it tight and not waste a load of space. Could flesh out the IT bits previous to my current role but worried about making the CV too big.

What do you feel about the HR work? Can't decide whether to keep it in or not, I think it's added a great deal to my interpersonal skills but don't want to take up valuable space.

And once again thanks for the input. I can't imagine its something you want to be doing often (considering you have to go through bunches already!) so really do appreciate the response.

I've left a bit more detail in this time as I really can't be bothered to go through and change all the details. I trust I won't be stalked at work. :eek:

Attached Files:

6. Sparky

Much better CV, things are going in right direction.

One point though, for the first job can you try and revise the amount of ‘Examples of responsibilities’? The description above that is fine, gives a good indication of the job. Perhaps change “password changes” to “Active Directory administration” though.

7. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

I've removed the bulk of responsiblities and just tried to keep a couple of the bigger ones. Attached is the result.

Still want to do some general touch up on presentation but how do you think it is content wise?

Also; what do you think about the inclusion of the HR work? I think with the key points it could be more beneficial than to go without it.

Attached Files:

8. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

So where are you aiming for now? In life and career?

I am just curious as your the same age as me and I was in schools for two half years and applied for many jobs until I got one out in NYC.

Although planning to return the school environment as its better than cubicle death.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  9. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

I really don't know. The problem with my school is there's no real progression there. The Network Manager role is almost twice my wage (around £35,000) and he only just landed the job so don't see him leaving for a long time.

I'd just like to get out into the real world and get some proper enterprise experience behind me. Career aspirations are to work my way up the ladder, as soon as I find a ladder worth working up. Of course my aspirations don't count for **** unless someone is willing to hire me outside of the school environment and it's an employers market at the minute with many more qualified than me out there :(

Hopefully I'll catch a break at some point though I'm not in all that bad a position at the minute. Our infrastructure is in the process of being replaced so I'm getting my hands on all sorts of new kit :)

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Remember, you aren't limited to a career ladder at one particular company. The "ladder worth moving up" is the entire IT career ladder as a whole.

In truth, with the exception of getting more senior roles within a position, I've not moved up the ladder at ANY company... all of my steps up the ladder have been by switching employers.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

That may well be the case but, so far, no one is even coming back to me regardless of the level of jobs I go for. That's why I decided to ask the members here to check out my CV.

Got some feedback from Sparky but if anyone else has any pointers I'm listening with open ears :)

12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I realize that... I'm just saying, you've already got both hands on the IT career ladder - it's not something you have to look for. Your post seemed to indicate that you were seeking a ladder. No; you're seeking the first step of a ladder you are already holding onto.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Ditto.

In the school I worked at the NM had been there since joining in late 1990's I believe. So he kinda just progressed naturally into management role from having a few computers windows 95 to now 9 computer rooms - I believe has a similar salary of 35 k whilst I was stuck on a lowly 14 k working term time only. So allot of NMs by no means all in schools are just glorified technicians with the manager title.

Also it seems nowa days in alot of places you do have to infact move to rise or get more money. Also Ive found prospective new employers tend to stigmatize you for working in schools.

'Enterprise' work isn't all that either. Trust me death by cubicle isn't fun! The grass isn't always greener. You just have to keep studying those certs always....Which can get dull then switch places. Perhaps you should look further afield for Network Manager positions within schools?

Although some may say otherwise I tend to believe 35k in a school? Final salary pension? Some have it proper cushy...

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
    Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.