Another choice in the virtual world?

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by fortch, Mar 1, 2008.

1. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Virtualbox, anyone?

Long story short, I'm on Vista64, and I need USB and sound support for recording software and connectivity. The USB thing cancels out VirtualPC (even 2007??!?) and Virtual Server, and I tried VMWare Virtual Server 2.0, because of the new features. Browser control only? Not, and its got more than a few bugs. I know that 1.x supports USB1.1, but I wanted more than that. VMWare Player has all the whistles (USB2.0, etc.), but no bells -- I'd need to build VM's somewhere else, or use appliances, and no snapshots. No thanks.

Soooo.... I ended up with Virtualbox. Sure, I could use VMWare Workstation 6, and I don't mind paying for software, but Virtualbox is free, and it's tight. Don't let the websites' yesteryear graphics dampen your spirit, this thing is good and fast. Of course, like any other virtualization product, come to the table with a decent proc, fast spindles, and a LOT of RAM. So far, so good. I may still go to Workstation, because I know VMWare has got it going on, but only if I need to :biggrin

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  2. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Not too shabby -- fully patched XP complete reboot in 29 seconds. :eek:

3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Sounds good. Thanks for the info fortch.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Ha! Even before Ryan could post :p, I've got problems with Vista64 as host (and XP32 as guest) when using USB. Everything else is rock solid, but unless I find a fix, its a deal breaker. After spending time getting it recognized in VBox, then installing a filter for it, now the host freezes when installing USB drivers. Yikes.

5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Nice one :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Hopefully VBox will get better, Sun just bought them after all

I'm pretty sure VMWare Server 2.0 is not web only as I have consoled to it before

Workstation 6.0 is still king of the desktop platforms, and its the only one that costs money argghh! :)
    even I pay for it, I'm not a VCP yet so don't get my free copy hehe

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0