Another boring update

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by wizard, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

[​IMG]

2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Sorry guys that shirt has gone, given away to charity when I moved. I am looking into taking self defence classes :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

learn Jui Jitsu for decent judo and karate skills, if you want to hurt people learn kung fu (it's all about snap kicks and snapping bones):D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

NOTE: This started as a small reply to GBL's post, I am afraid it got slightly longer...

Jiu Jitsu is a good suggestion and the Style of Jiu Jitsu (Aki, or Atemi) will determine quite what percentage of locking and throwing (good for door work, well the locks anyway) versus striking (which is the Atemi side). Another consideration comes from the fact that in Jitsu (or at least the styles I have done) you work mainly with compliant partners, and as such when pressure and resistance are applied, such as in a door situation, the techniques go to pot as you will not be used to that amount or adrenalin and a non compliant partner.

The style of Jitsu I used to do was an Aki style so mainly locks and throws (which don’t get me wrong is awesome) but the lack of focus on striking meant that the attacking you were given in a pressured tested situation (which they did do quite well within certain boundries) was appalling but also predictable as when training they were told to punch in a certain way and anyone who deviated from this attack was pronounced to be attacking badly. This would not be the case in the street, other bad habits were also formed.

If you are looking for Martial Arts classes the give you coverage of the four ranges (long - normaly kicking, medium - punching, short - close in punching such as upper cuts, hooks as well as elbows and knees and finally grappeling both vertical and horizontal) the I think the best combination is Thai Boxing and Judo as they cover all the ranges, against uncompliant opponents in a presure tested environment.

Judo is percived by many as Martial Art, but most Judoka (someone who does Judo) consider it a sport. The advantage of that is you are learning the most of the Locks and throws of Jitsu but against a opponant who is trying to do the same for you, and the other big plus in my eyes is that you have to fight for your grade and becuase of this you will be able to apply the techniques under presure.

Thai Boxing will cover the other ranges and its biggest bonus is in its simplitcy - there are not that many techniques but damn are they effective as well as being a serious aerobic work out. As with Judo you will be sparing and doing lots of efective pad work ensuring that when the adrenalin dump comes you are used to it.

As I said these will give you a great basis for self defense however these and every traditional art I have studied teach just that, self defense, which in almost all cases starts and finishes with the fight. What they don't teach and what I believe Wizard will need is the soft skills surrounding that part, which brings us to the more encompassing term Self Protection

The SDF focuses specifically on Self Protection as opposed to strictly the self defense you would get in a more traditional martial art and cover the awereness of people, places and situations, verbal and no verbal de-escalation as well as a skill set specfically designed for a "real go", there is little if any extra techniques to learn and its focus is purely on keeping you alive. I have trained with its founder Dave Turton and some of their senior instructors and I can say in the 10+ years I have been doing martial arts I have not had better instruction then when I attended those courses. The stuff they teach is effecitve, trained against non compliant opponants and encompasses all of the soft skills that most miss. Swing by the website or drop them and email and I gurantee the Dave will know of an instructor in your area off the top of his head, however if you cant get to one of their clubs go for the Judo/Thai route.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I did Aki style Jui Jitsu too and wing chun kung fu too

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?