Annoying connection dropping

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by Boycie, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I have my laptop connected wirelessly (Centrino) to my Linksys WAG54G router with WPA encryption. Every hour or so it will drop the connection. If you do the usual view networks and select to connect to it won't!
    I can only reconnect by disabling the wireless adapter and re-enabling it. It then works OK. I have tried different channels and the latest driver is supplied by Intel 8/7/2004.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Have you tried disabiling WPA and seeing if that might be an issue?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Trip,
    I am pretty sure that is the issue. The reason i say is that I used to use it with WEP :oops:
    Phoenix was saying that although WEP will stop casual prying eyes WPA is so much better.
    With WEP it is faultless but with less security. Any ideas to try after the usual channel swopping?

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Personally unless you are totally paranoid I would go back to WEP, change the SSID from the default name and turn off SSID broadcasts. WPA is more secure but clearly your hardware setup isn't reliable using it.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I tend to agree with Pete. Unless you *really* have the need for high security, you might want to do as he has suggested. Also use MAC address filtering. Can WEP and MAC filtering be defeated? Sure. But you'd have to work at it. The casual intruder would give up on you and go on to greener pastures. Only someone who *really* wants to hack your network will go the extra mile and try to crack your WEP key and spoof your MAC addy.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. stupot

stupot Bit Poster

I have the same problem but m problems started when I enabled WEP.

I have a WAG354G router and a ASUS wireless adapter built in to my mobo.

I've set it up so the router is basically an access point with no other connections apart from the phone line (through micro filter) now initially i set things with WEP disabled and everything worked like a dream.

Now when I enable WEP things aren't so good. I keep getting a dropped connection or worse I cannot connect to the AP. When ever I restart my PC I have to go through a whole series of connection attempts to connect to the AP.

Now I'm pretty sure my settings are correct because I eventually connected and i'm on here now and things seem to be fine!!! I've been connected for about an hour.

How much of a security issue would it be for me to disable WEP and have no encryption?? or is there something not quite right with my settings?

any ideas?

Sorry Boyce for hijacking your thread!

Certifications: Cisco IT essentials I
    WIP: CCNA, N+
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Hi,

Pete and Trip: Yes, i agree. I have changed from the default of channel 11 to 6 and so far so good. :D One thing I have noticed about WPA since changing to 6 is that the connection is fine as long as there are packets coming in/out. It appears as soon as it is idle for a while it drops. :(
    Yes, my set-up has had the SSID changed and Network access is locked to the MAC of my laptop. WPA is the icing on the cake (if i can get it to work allthe time :dry )

Stupot: Hey, this is an open forum matey the more the better. We can all learn off one another and this forum has given me a lot of help and knowledge. So if I can help you great :D
    You really need WEP as an absolute minimum matey.
    What I would say is try reseting the router and start again. They really can be fussy things :rolleyes:
    Configure the router first with the laptop either off or the wireless disabled. When you are happy that the router is set-up OK then start over with the laptop again.
    The bare minimum should be WEP. Make sure that the SSID is the same in both and that you set the encryption to disabled and access as WEP.
    Another key point is to configure the router via a cable. What I mean by this is even if you have just the laptop which you use wirelessly connect to the router via the LAN connection to configure it.
    Hope this helps please let me know how you get on. I am sure we can get your wireless set-up to WEP as a minimum :D

8. stupot

stupot Bit Poster

Cheers Boyce,

Seem to of cracked it, and the solution is bizarre. Its to do with the configuration utility that comes with my PC's WLAN adapter. If this programs running everything connects up. I dont change any of the settings or even open the utility. I go to preferences select launch at start up and everything connects when I start or restart my PC. Strange because before I enabled WEP never used to have this program running and things worked fine!! I cant see that this program loads any drivers or anything...

Maybe its a querk of ASUS WiFi adapters!!! or

Maybe i've been having a blond spell and its glaringly obvious to some of you that I need to have this utility running!!

Comments Please... :dry

Certifications: Cisco IT essentials I
    WIP: CCNA, N+
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Stu, I haven't had a lot of experience with wireless problems so far but from what I have gleaned, I would say that it depends on the hardware. You are more likely to get things running easily if you have the same make wireless devices. If you are having problems with XPs built in wireless functionality then use the manufacturers utility. I don't think there is a right and wrong, there is only the usual start with the easy method and if that doesn't yield the desired results try something that requires a tad more effort like loading the manufacturers software and if that doesn't work, well read the friggin manual ;)

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Stu,
    I would go with everything Pete has said. The other thing is don't have 2 configuration utilites trying to do the same thing. On my Toshiba laptop i had a "config" utility that was great but it was conflicting with the windows utility so i removed it and it was fine.
    The other thing is when you make some changes to the router although the web style page will tell you "settings are confirmed" or words to these effects it is best to turn the router off for a minute and then back on. They can be fussy things :D