Annoyed at work with holidays :(

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Kitkatninja, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I don't know if you guys/gals know about the increased minimum holiday entitlement in the UK, if not see here & here.

OK, I've been here at my current place of work for about 3 years now and I have 20 days A/L plus 8 bank hols, so I thought "hey, an extra 5 days". I was wrong, because:

So now what is my total leave entitlement? 28 days (A/L plus bank hols, the same as it's now) and in 2009 when the minimum A/L entitlement goes up to 28 days (including bank hols) - the same as it's now...

Anyone else in the same boat?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I'm guessing a large chunk of employed workers in the UK are in the same boat, Ken.

28 days is seen as 'standard' entitlement, IMHO. It's your bank holidays, plus 4 full weeks of annual leave. You can be canny and tie booking weeks off with bank holidays, to 'stretch it out'.

I personally thought the law was being brought in for employees perhaps in smaller firms that were being exploited on their contracts, etc.

My contract will not be changing with regards to holiday this, or next year.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Just blowing off a little stream, in my last job I had 28 days holiday (31 after 5 years) + 8 bank hols (but left due to low wages and high work loads).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm a contract worker so I don't get "entitlements". When the place was shutdown last week, I only worked two days and guess what? I was only paid for two days. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Sounds about right, my last place of employment (before I burst into the wonderfull world of IT) you were given 20 days only BUT your bank holidays, Christmas, boxing day and such forth were deducted from this leaving about 12 days!! on top of that 3 compulsory days were deducted over the Christmas/new year period leaving you with about 9 days of actual holiday.... and yes this was legal:blink

Hopefully these new laws put a stop to this kind of thing!

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  6. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

Hi,

The law on holidays has been changed again because when it was changed last time to make it more fair for part time workers, the government said everybody is allowed 20 days a year holiday but forgot about bank holidays.

So if you worked for someone like my old employers, you had 12 days to take whenever you liked plus your 8 days bank holiday.

From the 1st October 2007 everyone has 24 days including the 8 days bank holidays, then from 1st April 2009 (should have been 1st April 2008 but government bottled it) everyone gets 28 days including bank holidays.

Sorry if you feel you have been left out but think about the millions of workers who have been getting far less then you for years.

Regards

Toasty

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA