...and then I posted my first thread

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by quuuaid, Jul 24, 2010.

1. quuuaid

quuuaid Nibble Poster

Hi all!

I've been a member of certforums for about a month. A while ago I decided I wanted to change career to IT support and found Certforums while researching ways of getting into it. More specifically, I googled "are computech any good"!

At this point, I've got to say a massive thank you to the experienced members of the forum for their countless posts providing excellent advice and support to aspiring techs. Pretty much every question I've had thus far has already been answered on a thread in certforums! I salute you. :salut

Needless to say, I was thrilled to find out about the self-study route to entry-level certification, as the idea of throwing thousands at a TP did not exactly appeal to me!

I've since bought the awesome Mike Meyers' CompTIA A+ exam guide and am currently applying to entry-level jobs and looking for voluntary work. I know that "perseverance" is a word that every budding tech needs to have in their vocabulary, but nevertheless I'm hoping that "foot in the door" opportunity comes along sooner rather than later! :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST
    WIP: Drupal, PHP
  2. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Nice one your going about it the right way. IT isn't the easiest career to break into but with effort and time you will get your foot in the door. About self study, yes it's the best path for entry level certs as it's a waste of money going through a TP for an A+. Save your money to do a course on something further on in your career that isn't as easy to self study.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Welcome :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Rich0811

Rich0811 Bit Poster

Hi quuuaid,

I am looking to take the same approach as you are and have also bought the same book. (awaiting for it to be delivered!)
    Be sure to let us know how you get on with the whole learning process and finding jobs/work experience/volunteer work, will be interesting to hear from you and good luck!

Rich

WIP: A+
  6. quuuaid

quuuaid Nibble Poster

Thanks for the welcome posts guys!

The book's great! I'm about half way through it right now. I'm reading it first like a novel as the author suggests. I've had a lifelong interest in PCs so my knowledge has built up haphazardly around my varied experiences with them. As a result, I can pretty confidently say I already know or am aware of a lot of what's in the book already. However, it's proving invaluable in tying it all together as a "working knowledge" that could be applied in a job (which I guess is what it's for! :clap).

It's useful to have a PC handy when reading so you can navigate to the various applications as they're being described in the book. I just so happen to have two PCs running XP and Vista, so I can be extra thorough! :onthePC I also dug out an old motherboard which I've found useful for reference with some of the hardware-focused chapters.

Happy reading!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST
    WIP: Drupal, PHP
  7. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF, and good luck with the studies:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  8. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

Howdy and welcome to CF! Good luck on the studies!

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  9. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Welcome!

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

G'day and welcome to CF 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)