And the winner is...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zebulebu, Dec 11, 2006.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

...'Sports'?

...'Personality'?

This country gets more pathetic every day.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

It may not be your cup of tea Zeb but at being world champion of anything is an achievement.

For what it's worth, I thought it would go to Clarke. I thought Philips and Clarke were the only two likely to win, the rest of the nominations were really scraping the bottom of the barrel. I mean Button FFS, well done for winning one race out of over 110!

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

IMO darren clarke deserved it - not cause of his wife but he played out of his skin yet again in the ryder cup! :eek:

edit: true about button - how come damon hill or david coulthard never got nominated?? They won way more races in 110 and a world title the former... the only reason he got nominated was cause of his playboy status in F1

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Be fair Baba, he was up against some tough competition with Michael S in a Ferrari and Alonso on fire. He did well. Probably he should not have been nominated but he flies the British flag well. I can see him being more successful in the future, if he gets to drive a car that's competitively capable of winning GP races.

As for Mark Webber, well um lets not go there :wink:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

webber had potential and so does button - i see button at ferrari soon...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Potential is no good if you don't bring the car to the finish line. Webber just seems to be plagued with bad luck. Button in a Ferrari would be excellent, what makes you think that's a possibility?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Amongst all the disappointing offerings from British sport this year, I thought Zara Phillips fair deserved to win.

I wanted Darren Clarke to win myself, being a bit of a golf fan, but apparently he made a statement saying he did not want to win/receive the award due to reasons I can't remember.

She isn't just World Champion, she also holds the European title. That's pretty undisputed, and worth recognising, as equestrian sports I personally think only come into the limelight once every 4 years (the Olympics).

Also a shame the Ryder Cup team didn't win the Team title, but again, St Helens were deserving with what they achieved.

And a hat off to Paul Hunter.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA