And now it's my turn. :D

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by _omni_, Oct 18, 2006.

1. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

As none of you know, I've been studying since July 2005 for my certs. I now have the MCP (w00t!), MCSE:M, and MCSE 2003.
    I had decided to start looking for a job in IT once I reached the MCSE. I figured that while I waited I would continue to study for other certs (I only work on weekends, non IT related work) as my deadline for finishing is in May 2007. Not that that deadline affects me much, as I haven't gone to my training provider in nearly a year and also I had decided that their "job guarantee" was unlikely to come through, so I didn't want to rely on them.

Also I am just very effing sick and tired of the job I'm doing, and figured it was about time to leave that hellhole and put my knowledge to good use.

The problem is that I have zero official experience. Yes, I have a lab on which I've implemented and maintained all the technologies that I've studied, but you need "real" experience in order for someone to look at you twice.

So after a few weeks of... basically nothing, I decided I wouldn't wait around with my thumb up my ___. I thought I might as well work for free, gaining some experience while supporting myself by continuing to work weekends.

Anyway to make a short story shorter, last night before I sent out the app to work unpaid I got a call about a position I applied for on cwjobs; today I went for an interview and tomorrow I start! :D

It's a fantastic position in an IT solutions provider and consultancy... initially it will be mainly helpdesk, and within max one year I should go higher, with the idea of making me a consultant. Wow, and this is my first IT position!

There's also a huge amount of stuff to learn, and of course they'll take care of my exams and education. They're also nice and up-to-date, and in a few months we'll be using Vista and all the other 2007 products. The pay is also very good.

In short, I got what I think is a fantastic first-position, and without any experience. So it can be done. Though I still wouldn't advise it.
    But I knew my stuff, and braindumpers beware!
    An important thing was that I had my MCSE, as that was very important to them, perhaps also because they're a MS Partner. Oh, the guy also said he liked the fact that I did self study, as it shows motivation.
    Anyway I'm happy.
    And good luck to the other job hunters out there. Keep studying while you look.

:biggrin

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  2. rockstar6181

rockstar6181 Byte Poster

congrats mate, sounds fantastic Job with plenty of progression and lots to expand on.

Certifications: A/N+ MCSA 2003
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Omni,

Let me be the first to congradulate you. :)

All your hard work has paid off, well done and good luck :thumbleft

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Way to go O!

:sick with envy!!!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

wow thats good to hear. I am glad you got a job, and seems like you put a lot of efforts in to your studies so you definitly deserve it. Good Luck with the job and let us know how your first day went.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Nice one _omni_! :clap

7. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Well done mate, it's a nice feeling to know that all your hard work finally payed off, and that you had made the right decision all along. :clap

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

congrats mate :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. Casablanca

Casablanca Nibble Poster

Well done and good on you!

Certifications: N+ MCP 210 215 216
    WIP: MCP 218
  10. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Fantastic news my friend. Get in there and knock them over with enthusiasm and confidence :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  11. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

That's great news...well done and ditto what AJ said!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

That's great news _Omni_ if anyone deserves a decent break you do!

Congrats and jollifications are in order - you da man 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Excellent stuff. Congraulations.:thumbleft

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270