analyst?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Timostag, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Timostag

Timostag Bit Poster

I have a stupid question thats been bugging me;

What is the deifference between a helpdesk technician and an analyst? Ive noticed analyst positions are often advertised with higher wages and require more expirience, so I assumed it was a more senior role but I've read a few posts on here with people saying that their very first IT position was as an analyst.

Certifications: A+,MTA:Networking, MTA: Server Fundamentals MTA:Operating Systems MTA:Security Fundamentals ITIL Foundation
  2. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I think people just use it in different terms.

My title is a technical analyst but more people would know it as a desktop support technician. Sometimes it just depends on the company you work for or in some cases it will be more problem solving and such where a technician will just swap in and out parts.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

A job title is just that matey, a title. Under the umbrella of it, they could ask you to do whatever they shoehorn in to the job description you sign your soul away to :)

I think it depends on the schema of the company. You know, how "dynamic" they want to appear, or whatever the heck.

Don't take it as red that 'analyst' roles will pay higher or are more alluring than 'technician' roles. It's all HR cobblers.

My first position was as a first line support analyst, and that's still my title to this day despite being, according to the stereotype, anything but.

Good luck with the job hunting :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA