An old newbie

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by colcop, Feb 8, 2008.

1. colcop

colcop New Member

Hi All,

Just joined today after reading a number of posts, you all seem to be a great bunch, some wicked humour too.
    I'm a 50 year young, who has spent over 25 years in a techno/sales role, products such as real-time control, HMI, SCADA systems. Three years ago decided to have a change and bought a cafe with my wife, unfortunately last year the landlord decided he wanted a bigger car park - Whoops there goes my business", anyhow things happen.

The thing that brought me to this forum was that I'm looking at getting back into the industry, and I'm looking at the CIW certifcation, using either Computeach or Skillstrain, to gain the certification.

What are your thoughts on this, I know there already have been posts which I have read, but would like to get more recent comments.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers

Certifications: MCP Desktop & Server 2000
    WIP: CIW
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome to CF :)

50 is not old, there are people on here who are older than you and got into IT later in life so your in good company.

I don't know about CIW so I can't help but there are plenty of people on here who do know about although they may not be on line yet.

As for computeach and skillstrain I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot barge pole but what I am studying can be done through self studying the material and practicing at home.

Hopefully someone can come along shortly and point you in a better direction than me.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

HI & welcome to CF!:D

I think you'll find that Computeach and Skillstrain will be very expensive to use. A cheaper alternative is http://ciw.paisley.ac.uk/ .

HTH
    NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF! The age range here is very varied, you'll fit right in :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Hi and welcome I have never used either training provider so can not really coment on them.

Certifications: A few.
  6. colcop

colcop New Member

Good one, but I live in yorkshire but it has given me the idea to check out our local uni's

cheers

7. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Welcome colcop to CF.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  8. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi Colcop,
    Taken from the first page on the link

HTH
    NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  9. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CF! 8)

Best of luck with the CIW.

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I don't know anything about those training providers, but the CIW certification can be done through self-study.

Welcome! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. colcop

colcop New Member

Hi,
    Yes had a good look at the site, they offer inclusive exams provided you take it on-site, my comment earlier really was to do with looking at local uni's to see if they also did this, but no luck yet, but the one you pointed me to does look good, may well follow the route and see.
    Thanks