An article for videogame freaks : How to make PC games run faster and smoother

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by kobem, Mar 14, 2011.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Maybe you missed the second sentence Mike. :biggrin:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin(enough smileys?)

We all make mistakes and that some people learn slower than others. The mistake was rectified and hopefully the OP has learnt something about how to post taken from other parts of the web.

Please don't detract the misguided effort from the fact that he did attempt to contribute something to the forum.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No, I didn't miss the second sentence at all. If it is indeed what "everybody else does", then that's SimonV's call whether he wants to allow somebody, everybody, or nobody to repost material. I just reported what I saw.

I think he just didn't know what he was doing. That's cool - I understand that he's trying to contribute. Still, that doesn't mean I should wear kid gloves and stay silent just because he's Kobem. Nor did I speak up "just because he's Kobem". I saw the post and I reported it - doesn't matter to me who posted it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You have only been playing games since 2002? crazy I have been playing games for about 30 years now :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I know what you mean.
    However, I fired up Deus Ex a few months ago on a new machine and it still has all of its charm. :biggrin

I really don't tend to play many games on the PC - although I have just got Sims 3. :oops:

I've been playing Oblivion solid on the PS3 since Xmas, then got distracted by Mass Effect 2, and now I've got Killzone 3 lined up... Aargh, not enough hours in the day! :rolleyes:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. greenbrucelee

Cool might fire up Deus Ex then :D

I played Oblivion 5 times all through 250+ hours each time :D apart from once because I had the new DLC packs which gave me an extra 7 hours.

Might even play it again because I can't wait for Skyrim to come out :blink:D

6. BosonMichael

Yeah, I loved Deus Ex... tried the sequel, but got distracted away from it. Haven't picked it up again... anyone have any opinions on whether DEx:IW is worth a second shot?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I played the demo of the sequel and just didn't get on with it.

We'll wait to see what the new one has to offer...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

What i mentioned was 3D computer videogames. If you wanna hear more; i used to play "cards" when i was a child with my parents or my cousins. I used to play chess and lots of games more.

However, would you like to hear my favorite videogames? Even though it hadn't been produced for PCs,
    i would say Ultimate MK 3 on Sega Megadrive2. Fatalities were crazy there. Other than this could be
    sorted like this below ;

TES4 Oblivion, ME 1, NBA 2K series with my favorite player Kobe , Witcher(best of them), FIFA 11, CoH,
    Race Driver GRID(most realistic racing game), Bioshock, Dragon Age Origins esp. cos leliana and older
    C&C generals with Vampire The Masq. Bloodlines

Certifications: CCNA
  9. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

Although I own a Wii, 360 & PS3 , I've somewhat lost my love for gaming, my stand out titles over the years;

Metal Gear Soild (PS1)
    Zelda:OOT (N64)
    Mario 64
    HALO:CE (XBOX)
    Jet Set Radio (Dreamcast)
    Shenmue (Dreamcast)
    Counter Strike Source (PC)
    Half-Life (PC)
    ISS:PRo Evo 2 (PS1)
    Streets of Rage (MD)
    Mario World (SNES)
    Street Fighter 2 (Snes)
    Ridge Racer (PS1)

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  10. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Son, I am disappoint!

Why isnt Jagged Allience 2 in there? or Monkey Island 2? Half Life 2 was awesome too.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  11. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

My problem with Half-life 2 was I installed CS:S to see what all the fuss was about (Had never played the original), then that was me hooked, still playing it to this day. Just never got round to playing Half life 2 again, it also didn't IMO have the same feel about it that the original Half-Life did.

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  12. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Same here, i only ever bought Half Life to run cs 1.3 originally - then played it upto 1.6 then lost interest in it

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  13. BosonMichael

I've been playing computer videogames for almost 30 years (not quite - still probably a year short). There wasn't much out there for my first couple of computers (TS1000 and Vic-20), but when the Commodore 64 came around, it was gaming heaven compared to what we had previously!

14. greenbrucelee

I couldn't really mention all my favorite games over the years but here are a few:-

Elite - BBC Micro
    Repton - BBC Micro
    Target renegade - ZX spectrum
    Knightlore - ZX Spectrum
    Ikari Warriors - ZX Spectrum
    Green Beret - ZX Spectrum
    Double Dragon - ZX Spectrum
    Carrier Command - Atari ST
    F-16 fighting Falcon - Atari ST
    Bloodwych - Atari ST
    Weird Dreams - Atari ST
    Fiendish Freedies Big Top o Fun - Atari ST
    Xenon - Atari ST
    IK+ - Amiga 500
    Dungeon Master - Amiga 500
    Lotus Esprite - Amiga 500
    Ghost n Goblins - Amiga 500
    New Zeland Story - Amiga 500
    Mario Bros - Nintendo
    Streets of rage - Sega Mega Drive
    Shinobi - Sega Mega Drive
    Revenge of Shinobi - Sega Mega Drive
    Super Mario World - Super Famicom
    Super ghosts n goblins - Super Famicom
    WWF Wrestling - PS1
    Tenchu - PS1
    Tenchu 2 PS1
    Elder Scrolls Oblivion PC
    Hitman 2 Silent Assasin - PC
    Hitman Bloodmoney - PC
    Crysis - PC
    Mass Effect 1 & 2 - PC

Thats just a few of them :D

15. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

Some awesome games there mate! Especially the early ones you mention, loved green beret. The Tenchu games were classic as well.

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  16. greenbrucelee

The first Tenchu was may favorite although the mission editor for Tenchu 2 was a nice touch. Green beret was cool because you could lie down on the floor and the enemies couldn't get you :D

17. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

Did you finish all the games you mention? Xenon, ghosts n goblins, New Zealand story, they were all nails!
    Recall spending a fortune in the arcades on double dragon as well.
    You ever play Speedball 2 on the Amiga?

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  18. greenbrucelee

Yep finished them all. Xenon was probably the hardest game.
    Yeah used to play Speedball 2 a lot that was quite a hard game too.

One game I never finished and I never mentioned it above was Stryx on the ST. I got it from the Phsycnosis stand at the computer and video games show in London. It came out about the same time as Shadow of the Beast (same company) and they got done for making shadow of the beast impossible, think they went down a few years later too.