An amusing commute this morning...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Arroryn, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

... I'm not sure about you guys, but I didn't think it was particularly toasty when I left my house at 4:40am.

Got on the motorway, and overtook a Mazda... with its hood down :blink

The driver at least had a baseball cap on, but :unsure:

Then I nearly got taken out by a lorry that was clearly a bit frustrated by the 50mph average between junctions 4 and 5. Their number plate ended quite delightfully with 'doh'

Ah the joys of commuting. lol.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Blimey Dawn, that's an early start! Do you always watch the sun come out?!

I love the "white vans" :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Hades

Hades Nibble Poster

Ahh M6 Madness, does make me wander if those cameras actually work due to the amount of folk who insist on doing over 50 in that area :hhhmmm

Still I traded those joys for a journey twice as long and 99% more cramped and every journey is a fight to get a seat :duel ... still i guess it worked out cheaper in the long run :(

:blink just saw your journey time :blink and i thought setting off at 06:30 was rough... :oops:

Certifications: City & Guilds Diploma in ICT level 2+3
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I am working 50 miles from home at the moment. Usually, no more than one hour, although last night one lane was closed and there was a lorry blocking the entrance to the M4. Took over 2 hours to get back. :twisted:

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

2 weeks ago or so someone has decided to commit suicide on motorway bridge in Bristol (M5). Took me 5 hours to get back home from work (33 miles) :/

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  6. Arroryn

Most of my friends think I'm borderline insomniac I'm invariably up by 5ish, 6 is a lie in.

I'm only driving in at those times when I have a Dubai shift (3 this week). Otherwise, it's 6:30ish :)

7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

No it wasn't me, as I do commute in a Mk3 Mazda MX5. I did consider driving in with the roof down this morning but didn't bother. I have been known to drive with the roof down even though there is a frost on the ground etc... :)

Until you own a convertible (and I was the the same tbh) you look at people with the roof down when it's either cold, or overcast etc.. and think what a nutter. The blowers in the car are designed to give out enough heat to make it toasty even though you are doing 70 etc.. Also if it starts raining, the rain doesn't come inside the car at all as long as you stay above 40. Traffic lights don't help much in that situation though. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. Arroryn

There's cold and overcast, sure... but at least it's daylight! ROFL

9. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Commut? what commute? I can see my office from the bathroom window, it's in the next street .... Still, when you know it's only 200 yards to walk, you dawdle for ages and walk real slow, s it takes about 15 minutes haha.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  10. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I'm so looking forward to being in a similar position. :D Last day tomorrow!

Walking to work = win.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  11. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Summers night when it's dark yes, but never first thing in the morning. Yup he was a nutter. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  12. Arroryn

Was in that position for 3 years, when I worked at the concrete slab place :)

I have to say, much prefer having the 'distance' from work. Allows you to properly unplug when you're on holiday.

13. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

It's the UK, you guys have one of the highest concentration of convertibles anywhere in the world :D

And if it begins to rain, just drive a little quicker and you won't get wet when the top is down :wink:

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM