An A+ OS question form a Practice Exam

Discussion in 'A+' started by Professor-Falken, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

Can anyone explain this answer I dont understand the reason behind it. I am preparing for the OS exam and I am checking my understanding by taking practice exams. I got my knowledge from MIke Meyers book, but I dont understand this question and answer.

Question:
    Where are processes and background applications located in Windows 9x.

Answer:
    Win.ini and the registry contain information on process and background applications For example which processes should start automatically when the system starts.

P.S. What are processes? I know of Services but what are processes.

The practice Exam is provided by Comptia.Certguaranteed
    ok I will be waiting,

Thanks

Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

This should help

http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/w/winini.htm

Also if you look in processes in device manager you will see things like Outlook.exe if you have Outlook open, this wouldnt be a service. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

If the question is asking WHERE to find them within the gui,it would be a ctrl,alt,del scenario if memory serves correct..

Certifications: A+ Network+
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

A process is a program that is running on the machine - no more - no less.

Some of these will be obvious, and some not so obvious. Services are a subset of processes, and are processes that don't always make themselves known to the desktop unless you ask for the info.

Windows and Unix start a *lot* of processes at boot time (hence the answer you were given). Many of these then go to sleep until required to do something.

For example, each icon in the 'system tray' (Win9x speak) usualy represents a process. Some of them are working fairly hard, some not so hard, and some only occasionaly.

Ctrl-alt-del and click the process tab to see what processes are running. On Win9x many are missing from this list - go to Sysinternals to get a better process viewer.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

To add a little AFAIK services can be started when the computer boots up *if* they are set to automatic. Also, they can usually be stopped or disabled in the services console. They generally start *prior* to the user log-on action - they can run without the 'user' being logged on.

Most processes start after log-on for example Explorer.exe (windows shell), Skype.exe or with user intervention eg running a program like MSword will start the Winword.exe process.

Having said that I am sure there are exceptions to these rules.

Good question by the way :D

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)