American vs. British English...German style

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Oct 3, 2005.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

jimmo...the admin at Linux-Tutorial lives in Germany. He has a question about how German textbooks are translating German into English and was asking if anyone from the UK could give him a hand. You'll find the link Here

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

if i was using the words tutor group i would use them to describe a smaller class (maybe 10-15 or less) and tutor would be a teacher of said class.

so tutor to me, is a teacher but with more time to share between students.

but essentially both are the same.

hope that helps jimmo/trip!!

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I think it may depend on the school you went/go to. When I did German, it was implied that 'Klasse' meant the entire class/group. But in classes of 25/30 they were called tutor groups anyway where I went - tutor implied that the teacher of that group steered them through a couple of years of school - took register, had little sessions in the morning on current events, etc.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I speak German, if it helps.
    I went to school there for about four years and worked for Ford as one of my first jobs. I'd be happy to help if I can...
    What Jimmo is saying is quite right, it's a context thing.
    'Klasse' is a class, but it can be used to describe any form of learning group. A 'Lehrer' is a teacher, so a 'Klassenleherer' is a teacher of a learning group.
    The funny thing is that German (and indeed Welsh) tend to substitute English (or should I say American) words for new technology rather than invent new ones. Hence it would not be unusual to hear words like 'broadband', 'forum', 'Windows operating system' and 'David Hasslehoff' in a German conversation.
    Just goes to show how the Internet is breaking down barriers.
    With regards to the latter, it's not necessarily a good thing.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Gaelic is good for that too - great to hear in the middle of a beautifully flowing lyrical language the phrase "DVD player" appear from nowhere :biggrin

*No disrespect to Gaels here - my 7 yr old daughter is learning it at school already. :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. glytch

glytch Nibble Poster

you could try the new proposed european spelling standard...

# * In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy.

# * The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of "k" in the second year. This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have one less letter. There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f". This will make words like fotograf 20% shorter.

# * In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horibl mes of the silent "e" in the languag is disgrasful and it should go away.

# * By the 4th yer people wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v".

# * During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech oza. Ze drem of a united urop vil finali kum tru.

# * Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in ze forst plas.

Certifications: none yet
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

lol @ Glytch - someone had to post that ! :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

anyone else get a wee bit of brain strain trying to read that?!?! :blink :blink

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+