Amd x2 4800 temperature

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jonny5, May 29, 2010.

1. jonny5

jonny5 New Member

I have a pc runnning an asrock n68-s with a amd x2 4800 cpu installed and 2Gb ram, my question is ive just changed the case, befoer the cpu was running at between 34-45degrees now in the new case its runnning at between 43-50 degrees, is this safe or do i need to get a better cpu cooler/case fan, its not running any slower i was just womdering why it had just suddenly changed its running temperature the new case is smaller if thats anything to do wit it i dont know, i'd apperciate your thoughts on this matter, Cheers
    Jonny

Certifications: c&g 2377 2981 Etc
    WIP: 17th edition
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

First of all whats the air flow like in the case? is it a much smaller case with less fans?
    I can tell you that my wifes shuttle pc with an AMD x2 4800 is currently sitting at between 32 - 35c so there is something wrong with the temps.

Have you tried renewing the thermal paste on it? Have you cleaned out the dust from the heatsync and fans?

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. jonny5

jonny5 New Member

Yes its a much smaller case with less fans, I've cleaned out the heatsink and fan, before i changed the case mine was idling at the same as you wifes so i'm just wondering weather it would be best to put some more fans in or buy a bigger case What would you recomend? it doesnt seem to go above 56-58 degrees but thats near the top of the optimal tem for that processor what do you think?
    Thanks for the reply
    Jonny

Certifications: c&g 2377 2981 Etc
    WIP: 17th edition
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

See if you can get some better air flow going, the shuttle case isn't exactly large so the chances are that this is air flow related or something was moved when you changed over the cases.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Did you move the heatsink at all?

if so then the old thermal paste needs removed and new paste applied.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?