AMD Quad Core

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ThomasMc, Jan 18, 2008.

1. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I just ordered an AMD Phenom Quad 9600 2.3GHz Processor has anyone heard any Good/Bad news about them

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

IN RELATION TO WHAT?

Are you comparing it to playing games with, plaing media or just number crunching or comparing it to Intel CPU?:blink

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Its amd vs amd, not amd vs intel in that review it appears.

4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

5. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Are you comparing it to playing games with, plaing media or just number crunching or comparing it to Intel CPU?

No, No, Yes, Yes

I haven't tested one yet but often use tom's hardware:-

thanks that article highlighted some bugs in regards to the chip

6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

:oops:Whoops wrong link

7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Your welcome!:biggrin

BTW I like your AV Picture that's cool8)

8. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

Do you not do the research before you spend the money ? :confused2

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  9. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

well my supplier done a good discount, only paid £40 so i would answer no to your question this time grim :dry

10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

heres a review fro Cd net

Product summary
    The good: "True" quad-core design handles data efficiently; cheaper than competing Intel quad-core chips.

The bad: Not fast enough to justify the price savings compared with Intel's chips; next-gen Intel quad core due out soon could further the performance gap.

The bottom line: AMD's new Phenom quad-core CPU has little to recommend it over competing chips from Intel. The Phenom is marginally less-expensive, but not enough to make up for its subpar performance. Unless AMD drops prices more aggressively, it looks like Intel will maintain its grasp on the CPU market for the foreseeable future.

Specs: Product Type: Processor; Processor Type: AMD Phenom 9600

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

You should have done what I am doing...wait until end of the year...why? I hear ya ask? Well the higher spec 9900 (2.8GHz) will be out...however the other reason I say to hold back is cos the Phenoms are starting to develop power leakage...and AMD are having to re-do most of the CPUs to combat this by adding a B3 stepping to them...I think this mainly applies to the 9900s tho...

There have been mixed reviews about them tho...this one I found gives some serious in-depth review but the Conclusion pretty much sums it up. http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/phenom_9600/

That being said I will be building a machine based on the Spider platform (Phenom, 3800 series GPUs, CrossfireX and 790FX chipset) but it will be about Sept/Oct 2008 before that happens...and it will replace my current AMD Dual Core main machine which I use to watch movies, play music, downloads, burning, pretty much everything bar playing games cos thats what I built my new AMD dual core machine for...gaming!

So lets hope the CPU does the job for u and u have bought a well specked out mobo for it...and let us know how it goes...but until all the problems of the power leakage have been sorted I will wait...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  12. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Nice one noelg24, it was bought on the RaD budget anyhoo so if its duff then it can go with the rest of the junk

13. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I'm not sure if it's mentioned in the linked articles but AMD have had to admit problems with most of the early Phenom's and Opertons (quad core ones). Some kind of bug in the level 3 cache means they need a bios fix of some type which can reduce the chips performance quite significantly.

Unfortunately things aren't going well for AMD at the moment. I hope they can recover as healthy chip competition is good for us. Thing is the new Intel Quad core's bases on the 45nm process are wiping the floor with AMD big time.

Buy an Intel, you would be silly to do otherwise at the moment I think. And that is coming from an AMD user of many years who has ended up changing to Intel. They used to be the best bang for buck, but not any more.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada