AMD Phenom II x4 920

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pheonicks56, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

Well I finally decided to upgrade my processor since I built my computer about three years ago. I unfortunately went with AMD's AM2 architecture and got a single core proc, this was right before the Intel core 2 duo boom hit. Well I didn't see it coming and have had no good upgrade path until the Phenom II. I can't wait for my new quad core to get here, I know it's not going to hold water to the i7s but it's going to be smoking compared to my old AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Orleans 2.4GHz. Can't wait to get it OCed to at least 3Ghz on air.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  2. oztrailrider

oztrailrider Nibble Poster

Sweet upgrade. The Phenom II I think has earned AMD a fair emount of the respect it lost with the original Phenom. I think it shows that the original Phenom wasn't terrible, the consensus is that they didn't have enough room to fit enough L3 cache on the 65nm process.

I think if I was going to build a new system it would be an Phenom II X3 720. They seem to be offering excellent value for money. Enjoy the new CPU!.

Certifications: MCP (70-270)
    WIP: A+
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have my C2D 3GHz running at 4 and my pc isn't even breaking a sweat and this is air cooled.

Have you not thought about switching to Intel as imo they are far superior:D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

Ah I did think about swapping to the Intel team, unfortunately that would require buying a new Mobo, and the new DDR3 RAM along with the Proc. At the moment, all I could afford is a simple proc. upgrade, later I'll get a new AM2+ Mobo that'll take full advantage of the new proc, right now I have an old M2N-SLI Deluxe socket AM2.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+