AMD K8 CPU overheating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by itbookham, Feb 7, 2010.

1. itbookham

itbookham Nibble Poster

Hi,

Yes I have also checked the BIOS temperature settings and they are corroborating the excessively high core cpu temperature readings in the Core Temp program.

WIP: A+
  2. itbookham

itbookham Nibble Poster

I have now cleaned, reapplied thermal paste and snugly reseated the hsf.

In the BIOS PC Health Status, after 20 minutes at idle, the cpu core temp reading is 70 degrees celsius. This is high.

I think the best option is to buy and install a better hsf. Probably the cheapest first option rather than replacing mobo or cpu.

WIP: A+
  3. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

So the bios temp reads the same temps as the temp software? Have you restored the bios to default and stopped windows monitering your temp settings from the bios? Could be worth a try?

Dave

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

check that you have the right amount of paste on. Too little or too much and it will overheat, check the heatsink is in firmly and does not move, it should be tight infact it should be so secure that if you tried to rip it out it would take half the mobo with it.

your temps should be around 42 degrees c at most when idle preferably mid 30s.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?