Am I too old?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Mac70, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Mac70

Mac70 Bit Poster

This is probably the wrong section but Ive been self-studying the A+ for a while now but unsure whether to shell out for the exams.
    Im 36 unemployed 2 years and no experience. Who would employ someone with those credentials?

Certifications: Zilcho
    WIP: Considering MCDST
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

someone who see's a person with the drive and dedication to succeed.

Take a look around the forums, you'll find that you aren't the first person to be in that position.

We have plenty on success stories! 8)

3. Mac70

Mac70 Bit Poster

Ive been burned before having forked out on two forklift courses (pardon the pun) and every job Ive tried for Im told I need experience.
    I suppose computing is a different World though. H&S not such a big issue.

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Unfortunately, it's similar in IT. Employers want people with experience. That said, the A+ certification will set you apart from people who have no experience and no certification. I'd recommend getting it, but that's just my personal opinion.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Mac70

Mac70 Bit Poster

I suppose the fact I self-studied might add a brownie point. :D

6. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

You can't take a forklift home,pull it to pieces,rebuild the bugger and get it working again (at least I think you can't) but you have the ability and the intention to do just that with a PC and your A+ studies and that is where self study sets itself apart to prospective employers.Voluntary work is always a good option and may well lead on to bigger and better prospects,plus it shows a willing to learn and apply your skills.Oh and by the way,since when is it considered 'too old' to learn?GO FOR IT I say and don't stop there either,think about your goals beyond A+.8)

Certifications: A+ Network+
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Firstly, just go do the A+ exams mate.:biggrin

Secondly, seeing as you are currently unemployed, you are in a better position than most. As has been said on the forums before, go out and find some volunteer work at a charity, church, local business etc. You have the time for it whereas others already have a 9-5 job and have no spare time.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Too old indeed. You're a mere whipper snapper mate. In case you haven't noticed, men retire in the UK when they are 65, not 35 :rolleyes:

Pete, age 51 and I still like to think I am employable.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Sometimes I think I am too old when I think of SGUK who is three years younger than me and knows a damn sight more!

But then i think that I will be working until someone carries me out (not 65 anymore Pete in the UK :) ) so have a long and prosperous future ahead.

Knuckle down, read, practice, ask questions and go for it :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

So what is the retirement age for men now?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Yeah but I'll bet you know a damn sight more about cars than me!

You're getting there mate!

8)

12. alsy

alsy Bit Poster

It's not going to be easy, but if you want a career in IT, then go for it and you will get there. I've employed people in the past with less experience and qualifications than others that were interviewed for the same job. OK, these were entry level jobs, but the person came across as eager and had an attitude of wanting to learn.

Get your A+ and then fix your mind on a particular track (whether that be Microsoft or something else) and then just stick with it. I know if you're unemployed, the money side for the exam won't be easy.

As someone else said, if you can do volunteer work, it gets you the experience you'll, to both learn and for your CV.

Best of luck!

Certifications: MCNE, CNE5&6, MCSA, N+, Project+, ITILv2
    WIP: MCSE2K3
  13. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Pete - The original post was a joke, meaning because of the way of the world, no final salary pensions, living costs etc people will have to work until they drop! But I did here something on the radio some time ago saying that the age for retirement will probably be lifted to 70 in years to come.

Si - Thanks! I am putting a lot of time in to Server at the mo, hence less time around CF.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Too old? Nah. I was in my late 40s when I started my education in computer and network support. I had to have a "day job" to support my schooling but once I got my A+ and posted my CV online, I started getting calls from recruiting agencies.

My first contract job was 5 hours long, helping to install PCs and printers in a new branch office. The jobs came in slowly at first. One here and the other there. I managed to arrange times off from my regular job to do the contract jobs. I added each one on my CV which in turn, resulted in more calls for contract work.

I won't go into my whole work history but through various twists and turns, I ended up specializing in technical writing. I worked for almost two years at a small software company that finally went belly up. I've been on contract with a somewhat larger company for almost nine months now and working on getting hired permanently.

Are you too old? No. Will it be easy? No. When I first started out with all this, I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it. I figured something would eventually stand out. It did...but I had to walk a long road and it's not over yet.

I'm 52 and probably won't retire when I'm 65 but then as long as I stay mentally and physically active, I can write for a long time to come.

Certifications: A+ and Network+