Am I right?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by knightofnuada, Jan 3, 2006.

1. knightofnuada

knightofnuada Nibble Poster

Ok, feeling confident I thought I'd upgrade my MoBo and Graphics card.

Managed to connect everything up as per the manual. Try to repower and nothing, zip, nada, zilch ...

So, replace the old MoBo and get the same result, zip, nada!

I'm putting guesses at the PSU ... Or have I missed something?

WIP: A+, Network +, CCNA
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Does the fan for the PSU spin up when you press the power button on the machine?
    Check all the connections again.... and let us know. As you say you were upgrading it is unlikely you have 2 dead mobo's...

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. knightofnuada

I get nothing, not even the friendly hum/ whir of the PSU fan ...

Checked the connections and they are seated properly.

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Check the jumper for the power switch on the mobo Dude - I've run into this one before. :rolleyes:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

I take it it is an ATX power connector coming from the power supply?

If the old mobo was working fine before there should not be any problems with the PSU!
    How about the connector lead that goes from the power on switch to the motherboard.... is this connected?

Craig

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Let us know how you get on :thumbleft

7. knightofnuada

I'm not completely dumb. The power from the mains is still working - the light from my monitor confirms this.

I've rechecked the connections and everything is firmly in place and in the right way.

All leads from the PSU are in the right place, re-checked the MoBo manual.

Re-placed the power switch jumper, again re-checked the MoBo manual.

Looks like a trip to local Computer store for a new PSU is in order. Unless anyone has any other bright idea's!

8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

I am not saying you are dumb. I was merely pointing out that just because one thing was working it doesn't mean the other is.

Have you got a multimeter? If yes, then check for an output (DC) on the yellow and black wires. You should have 5 volts. On the red and black you should have 12 volts.

If all was OK before you swopped the mobo over then it sounds like a wiring issue to me...

Let us know how you get on.

9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Hey K_o_N, give the Guys a break here. The tone of your reply suggests that you might be less than impressed by the input to the thread so far. Everything posted so far was meant to try and help you. As always, if you aren't happy with responses you receive, wait a little longer till some of the other Members also have the chance to read this thread.

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It does sound PSU related if you are absolutely sure the wiring is correct. Was it an old PSU? Perhaps your new power hungry components have pushed it over the edge!

At least you can now get a brand new PSU, not as glamorous as getting a new graphics card but sometimes installing a PSU that makes little noise can be a worthwhile upgrade. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. knightofnuada

Sorry ... Didn't mean it to sound like I was unimpressed, far from it. (Tone of voice really doesn't work in these forums)

I've done all the obvious stuff like checking wiring/ power supply from mains/ connection seating

I'll re-check everything again tomorrow, including re-trying the old MoBo and double check everything, try a new PSU and let you guys know the outcome!

Anyway, thanks for the pointers guys, much appreciated! Beers on me :morebeer

12. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hey mate, I'll go with Sparky here, your new machine maybe stretching the old PSU just a tad hard and a new one is in order. What power rating is the old boards and what is it trying to power?

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Tone of voice doesn't always translate well at times, but that sounds good to me. Mine's a Guinness ... :wink:

Often a time spent away from the problem makes it easier to come back to afresh - good luck with this.

14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Knight,

No problem matey. Just imagine my text in Boyce's sarcastic tone!

If you are sure all the connections are right then it could well be the PSU gone toes up.
    Don't forget to go here to work out what PSU you need. Tagan or Zalman are good'uns.... Try www.overclockers.co.uk

Don't forget to let us know the outcome :thumbleft

15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

My monies on the PSU too.

The PSU is usually the most likely thing to cause a dead computer. On this occasion it gave up the ghost when you upgraded components and as others have said, the new motherboard and graphics card may consume more current than the old ones. Chances are that the PSU was on it's way out and the new components were the last straw.

Let us know!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  16. farmer

farmer Byte Poster

just read the post does the new mobo have a 20 pin or 24 pin atx connector and als check your psu for same

Certifications: C&G level 2, ECDL, IC3, MOS
    WIP: city and guilds level3 , a+
  17. knightofnuada

Just to let you guys know of the fun I'm having. Ordered a new PSU from Novatech which promptly arrived yesterday. Just opened the box to install it and they sent me a 24 pin PSU and not a 20 Pin like I ordered.

The good news is that they're based just down the road from where I work so I can get it changed easily on Monday! Will let you know Monday or Tuesday how I get on ...

18. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Ok, i'll keep my fingers crossed for you :)

19. knightofnuada

We have power ... :D

PC has power ... Now to get the MoBo working! Keeps resetting, so I'm guessing I have to reinsert the old MoBo and install the drivers/ disable the old driver.

Who'd have thought upgrading would be so much hassle!

20. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Just think of how much you're learning, though. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+